Author Topic: An evening with Sadie...  (Read 6219 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
An evening with Sadie...
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:33:06 pm »
For those of you that follow Pappy's "Life is Good" string, you've undoubtedly seen his little hound Sadie pictured from time to time. Sadie must have realised I could use a little extra exercise, because she helped me get some one afternoon last week while hunting at Pappy's.

Pappy had decided not to hunt that afternoon (freezer probably already full  ;D), and had put Sadie and Hanna in the pen while Anthony and I went to hunt a couple of stands. Well, after I had been sitting in the stand for 10 minutes or so, I heard an animal running and saw Sadie tracking me to my stand. After just a couple of minutes she came right to the ladder and looked up at me! I waited for a while hoping she would leave, but other then running around the stand and generally just sniffing around, she seemed to be there for the duration. I decided to get down and walk her back to the cabin. She followed for a while and soon was no longer in sight in the woods. I dropped down off the ridge into the creek bottom and saw Pappy riding up in his truck looking for Sadie. He had let the dogs out a while after we had left and couldn't stop Sadie when she took off along our trail.

I decided to try another stand, hoping Pappy and Sadie would reunite...wrong! After a climbing back up the ridge to a second stand site, Sadie again came running up to say hello. :) I got down the second time and walked back down to the creek bottom leading to the cabin. I saw Sadie at least a couple of hundred yards away running full out for the cabin....I thought. So I decided to go to a third stand site closer to the creek bottom. I don't even think I got to pull my bow up before...here comes Sadie...for the third time!  ;)  This time I decided I wasn't climbing into another stand until I knew Sadie was in the pen. I went back to the cabin, and Sadie had made it there ahead of me...Pappy had her pinned up. Pappy gave me directions to another stand I didn't know about near the cabin. Didn't have a lot of daylight left at this point. I found the fourth stand and had climbed up and settled down. Looked around and saw a dead dog near the stand. Don't know who's dog he belonged too, but I didn't feel very confident of seeing deer with a bloated dog carcuss within 20 yards of my stand, so I got down out of this fourth stand I had climbed and headed for a fifth stand I knew of on the other side of the farm. I actually hunted out of the fifth stand maybe forty-five minutes prior to dark...didn't see any deer. But I got a lot of exercise that afternoon for which I'm extremely grateful to Sadie for allowing me the opportunity! ;) ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: An evening with Sadie...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »
lol.  :D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »
What a sweet thing she is. She just missed you Greg.  Reminds me a lot of the mountain cur I have that looks just like her.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »
Thats one reason I rarely hunt around my home. Its hard to convince a deer to come close with a dog or 2 laying under my stand. My dogs have never been in a pen or kennel so they wouldn't understand that tactic. Oh well. Thats the life of a dog lover. 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:27:01 pm »
Sounds like ya have a new girlfriend Greg ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:51:52 pm »
   ;D ;D I love it Greg,Check out the exersise thread,you are half way there.After that I think I'd jump right back on that venison,protien diet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:23:42 am »
Ya I hated that happened but dogs go figure.Anyway Greg got all his calories back at supper. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:54:48 am »
I thought stuff like that just happened to me.  ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:06:14 pm »
I guess it gives you an idea of how sensitive smelling some dogs have...I was wearing rubber boots and unscented everything, clothing, deodorant, shampoo, soap.

I'm sure a deer has close to the same level of smelling ability. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 02:31:51 pm »
Too bad the deer don't follow you to your stand. ;D   I used to use fox pee on my boots for cover scent. I have had quite a few deer follow my trail into a stand with their noses to the ground...that was years ago before they became edumakated. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 04:26:03 pm »
I guess it gives you an idea of how sensitive smelling some dogs have...I was wearing rubber boots and unscented everything, clothing, deodorant, shampoo, soap.

I'm sure a deer has close to the same level of smelling ability. :)
Just goes to show that no matter what you try you still stink.   ;D 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 02:40:08 pm »
She smelt you out every time. I bet the deer would to. Saying all that she must be a real sweet heart. My Rosie is in the ending day's of her life. Her bladder has gone to hell.  Arther flares up all the time. I spend about 60.00 bucks a month keeping her comfortable. But she is worth it all. Despite all her problem she still can harvest a squirrel  about once a week. She doesn't have to be fast just smart. That she is. I love my Rosie. Sadie sounds like a hell of a dog.