Author Topic: All hickory warbow?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

All hickory warbow?
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:28 pm »
What (if any) experience do any of you have with a warbow made of just a single stave of hickory? Would it be likely to be durable? Take set badly? Are there any ways to make it perform better other than the obvious that just apply to bows in general (tip mass, extra length to reduce strain, etc.)?

Offline adb

Re: All hickory warbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:42:52 pm »
I haven't done it yet, but I have an 85" pipe straight hickory stave I've been eye-balling for a while. I just need some extra time.

Offline AndiE

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
Hi

It all depends on what kind of hickory you have! Do you have a good quality stave or a bad quality or bad cut wood lath from the next DIY market!?

Kind regards
Andi

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
Can it be done? Yes, I definitely think so. Hickory can take it.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »
Can it be done? Yes, I definitely think so. Hickory can take it.

One I made and posted on here apparently chrysalled. I made it probably a little short for the weight, it was like 125# @ 32", 74" nock to nock or so, maybe a bit shorter. So my only suggestion would be to not make it too short, :). Maybe go a normal 78" nock to nock for anything over 100#. Although then you gotta deal with the weight issue, as it's pretty dense, if your gonna make a real heavy bow over 100#, imo. (This is why I made it shorter) But all that said, I am really a fan of hickory. In my opinion, it is the best bang for your buck when considering your options in most lumber yards. And it is definitely the best board bow choice for your buck (although I would like to try an ipe board bow, I read/hear ipe can be good in tension if the grain is good?). I mean, I don't know why everyone opts for red oak board bows from lowes / home depot, when they could just go root through the hickory boards at menards for the same price, and have a chance at a much better quality wood? (maybe no access to menards?)  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:39 pm »
I've got one all hickory done that's 76" and 75 at 28", 87 at 32". Seems to have taken a lot of set so far though.....

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:25 am »
How much? And where do you live? Dry climate or humid?

Offline Salvador 06

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:17 am »
There is variation within a species and some hickory will just be better than others.  I have a hickory board that's denser than most osage, just a lucky find, the wood sinks in water.  I suspect it would make a good bow of any design.  I'm not turning it into a warbow, btw.

We don't have Menards in the west coast, but hickory is a better choice than redoak.
Proudly subscribed to this magazine since 1994

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:36:41 am »
There is variation within a species and some hickory will just be better than others.  I have a hickory board that's denser than most osage, just a lucky find, the wood sinks in water.  I suspect it would make a good bow of any design.  I'm not turning it into a warbow, btw.

We don't have Menards in the west coast, but hickory is a better choice than redoak.

Lol umm you must have something else then because no type of hickory is more dense then Osage and no hickory sinks in water not even really close The specific gravity of hickory is only .72 waters specific gravity is 1.0 Osage specific gravity is .84 so not sure what wood you have
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:48:27 am by Joec123able »
I like osage