Author Topic: Show your Robin Hood  (Read 10738 times)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
Re: Show your Robin Hood
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »
Yep same experience Pat. I had some plastic knocks break while using my heavier bow and hurt my shoulder. I only shoot self knocks out of it now for the same reason. I've never used bone or horn and am surprised to hear they would break.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 05:05:52 pm »
Bone and horn also have a grain like wood so you have to consider the grain when making nocks from either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »
First time I met Pat in Elberton I had three break in a row. I had a pretty goose egg on my arm and didn't want to shoot anymore. I traded all of my horn and bone nocks away. Most of those sold on ebay are actually pressed bone and horn, the same thing they make fake ivory statues out of.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 06:34:44 pm »
First time I met Pat in Elberton I had three break in a row. I had a pretty goose egg on my arm and didn't want to shoot anymore. I traded all of my horn and bone nocks away. Most of those sold on ebay are actually pressed bone and horn, the same thing they make fake ivory statues out of.

Hmm, good to know.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline artcher1

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
I've never had any trouble using deer antler. But............you only want to use the tips only.

Like this..........

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 02:33:58 am »

Hmm, good to know.
+1
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
Interesting I have never broken a plastic nock during a shot, only when hitting arrows in the target.  I use plenty of glue to fill the pocket at the top of the nock taper.  I wonder if an air pocket here creates a weak spot? 

I have busted plenty of nocks and blew up the shaft a bit more than once, but I have never split one quite like this.  This photo is one my dad pulled off.  He claims it was at 28 yards and likes to point out it is in the bulls eye. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:57 am »
I knew there was seething I liked about your dad :) ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 09:27:57 am »
Here is one. The "male" arrow is still dandy and being shot today. It is a POC shaft. The nock was perfectly split. See the shadow? Looks like two complete nocks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:32:43 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 11:53:03 am »
That was a nice straight grained arrow there PD.

Good shot by Pops CMB.

dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 04:09:39 pm »
Looks like the mythbusters may need to go back and try again , they tried it a few times and said it couldn't be done .
I've busted nocks and dinged arrows up but have yet to split an arrow ( with traditional that is ).