Author Topic: Pecan Nut Whistling Arrow  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Pecan Nut Whistling Arrow
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
Following the success of my Whistling Walnut arrow I made this one with a Pecan nut, the shell is a bit thinner and more delicate than the the walnut shells. I flattened the ends of the shell on the belt sander and then carefully drilled a hole in each end. The nut inside was mashed up with a needle file until I'd got it all out of the holes. A 5mm hole was drilled into each side of the nut just forward of center. The back edge of the hole was lightly filed to a sharper edge to give a better whistle.
This arrows were used by the idigenous tribes for hunting Pecan Pies as they roost in the tree at night :laugh:
Del
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:08:27 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline autologus

Re: Pecan Nut Whistling Arrow
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:12:43 am »
Pecan pies are my favorite, I will have to stalk some this afternoon.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:25:28 am »
I guess you didn't get many practice shots with the pecan shell whistler being it is so thin.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:42:33 am »
I guess you didn't get many practice shots with the pecan shell whistler being it is so thin.
Funny enough, I let my Son have a go shooting the whistling arrows, 'cos it's such a laugh.
I'd made 2 Walnut and one Pecan...
He grouped the 2 walnut so close he smashed the shells on both of 'em >:(
Fortunately they are quick to make and the Pecan being skinny fit into a quiver easier.
However, they aren't so good at stopping a Pecan Pie which is rolling at full speed to escape... ironically the Walnuts may be better for pie shooting.
Broadheads are certainly no good, they go stright through, but if you are lucky enough to get a kill, the pie may be ready sliced for eating :laugh:
Del
PS. Once glued on the shaft, they are pretty robust for normal use, but they still bury into the foam boss and make a mess of it when shot from anything over 35#...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:45:59 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »
I always suspected you had mental health issues, but now I can see your nuts.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.