Author Topic: Scraping Hill cane, and it's spine..  (Read 3814 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Scraping Hill cane, and it's spine..
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:11 am »
Im new to cane shafting, and always learning. My buddy hippy gave me a batch of shafts in May and I straightened out 4 and made arrows with them right away, they flew great from several bows and are tough as nails. I lost one all summer,  and that was with attending 4 shoots/camp out even!

I made up 3 more over the last week. I went out to shoot them yesterday morning. WOW, they flew miserable and practically hit my target side ways. I was confused and upset, these are the shafts I had set aside to hunt with. I bet half the day went by before it finally dawned on me what was going on. I never scraped the rind off and sanded these new shafts as I did the first 4. It was night and day difference in spine from raw to scraped and lightly sanded.

Lesson learned  ;D
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Scraping Hill cane, and it's spine..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:35:44 am »
Do a deep cut out, center shot shelf in all your bows and they will fly perfect Pearl. >:D >:D >:D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:57 am »
They do change when they get well seasoned,I try and be sure they are seasoned before I make arrows,and yes I also scrape and sand them in the mid section to reduce the spine some if they need it. :) I also usually make them up when they are to the point where I am ready to make shooter's 1 at a time,adjusting length/spine and point weight so they all shoot the same,just easier that way for me and not so frustrating as when you make up several and some don't do right and then you have to go back and work with them. I do the same with shoot shafts.  :) I'm not the best shot in the world that's for sure but I know when it's me or the arrow that ant hitting where I look.  :) Got to love um when they fly good and hit what you are looking at. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:05 am »
Yep, you got to cut your bows to center to make 'em work Pearly ;D! Art B

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:37:44 am »
Do a deep cut out, center shot shelf in all your bows and they will fly perfect Pearl. >:D >:D >:D

Just like yours right Greg? HAHAHAHA!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:09:46 pm »
just by rotating the shaft can change the spine 10 lbs....cane is less susceptible to spine issues..a 15 lb spine difference is tolerable...Kirk

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »
I did that Kirk, no dice. They are just too heavy and fly miserably. Im getting them closer now.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
Are you orienting the nodes/scars properly Chris? Up/down on the shelf (or 6/12 o'clock. Clear side against the bow. Flip and shoot both sides. Index the best shooting side........Art B

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
Beats me Artsy. The first 4 I made I just made and they are great? Where should the scars be oriented?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
Leaf/stem area down on the shelf/hand Chris. Like I said, they orient at the 6 and 12 o'clock position. That places a clear side against the bow. Think I'm repeating myself here, but what the hey ;D!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:16 pm »
I think I have them that way by luck. Its easier to fletch and smoother to draw across the bow hand.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:15 pm »
Well, you probably made up a bunch of left-hand arrows then ::)!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »
Hmmm? I just spin them on the spine tester with the 2# weight, mark the stiff side and put it against the bow.

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:45 pm »
   Left hand arrows are the only way to go. ;D
   Hippy
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 04:50:21 pm »
   Left hand arrows are the only way to go. ;D
   Hippy

Can I get an amen?