Author Topic: Scraping Hill cane, and it's spine..  (Read 3815 times)

gutpile

Re: Scraping Hill cane, and it's spine..
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
are you plugging or foreshafting.., foreshafting will reduce spine and the arrow will fly better with the heavier FOC...just sayin..Kirk

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 04:58:20 pm »
Nope. Just raw shafting Kirk
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 06:16:39 pm »
That's cane for ya,  I find no rime or reason to some shafts.  Some just don't shoot good.  But, as Gut said I do think % FOC has a lot to do with cane arrows. The different tapers in the shaft can cause different FOC balance locations.   Find the balancing point on the arrows that shoot good, and see how close they are to each other and to the ones that don't shoot.
Let me know what you got. I'm kinda doing a study of the FOC point that way.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 07:11:32 pm »
   Pearly, that's why my arrows are so long. When I harvest cane I have my choice with the shafts. I pick some pretty heavy cane that has a little larger diameter than the rest. I find that a 32 inch shaft with a stone point between 90 and 190 grains will fly pretty darned good from my 65# bow. They also fly good from a 45 and 55. The weight will vary from 550 to 700 but they still fly nice. I just think that a long arrow is so much more forgiving of spine than a short one.
   I'll bring you some more cane next year and you can take it home and play and see what you can come up with.
   Hippy
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
Ill get numbers for you Bill. My arrows are about 2" longer than my draw. I have wiggle room to snip the nock off and rotate the shaft.

Hippy I would love to have some more to try out. Your not the first one to speak highly on extra long arrows being the ticket. Im buying in on it. I think Pat is a long arrow fan to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:29 am »
Yep, me too. My arrows are 30" for my 26" draw.  I make arrows more similar to Hippy's than Art's but they fly well(or I wouldn't shoot them) and hill cane grows along my driveway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »
my cane shafts are right at 26 inches...and spine right at 60 to 75 lbs..trying to get 70 as my goal...then I foreshaft them leaving a good 4 inches out makes them 30"...I draw 26 and shoot from 50 to 65 lb and they fly nicely...I used to get in debates with ferret about plugging verses foreshafting cane..LOL...FOC will fly better..IMO...Kirk...aka ..gut