Author Topic: Projects on the table  (Read 1907 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Projects on the table
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:59:28 am »
Some peeks at what I have in line to get done.The self bows within a month I suppose and the sinewed bows later on this winter.The levered mollys are winged elm,black locust,and black cherry.The winged elm is tillered and being shot in at this time.The black locust I plan to heat treat the belly then tiller.The black cherry[all heartwood] seems to suck me in yet to make a bow out of it and plan to sinew that.
Of the turkish horn bows one is sinewed and curing with a hickory core,mulberry levers,gemsbok horn and elk leg sinew.The other is ready for sinew with an ironwood core,red elm levers,gemsbok horn and elk leg sinew again.
I think I might try an osage molly yet too.Sometimes with bow making with me I need to get inspired.Hope this takes care of me this winter and that they all make bows......LOL.I'll post pics of em as they get done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Projects on the table
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:21 am »
Horn bows
BowEd
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:52 am »
Cool, the horn bow looks great like that... very zen like picture. I gotta do one of those some day.
There's just too many bows to make :'(  ;) I've not even done a Molly (oh the shame :-[ )
I've currently got a Yew primitive (Meare Heath-ish) and  a Boo backed Pacific Yew on the go. There's a 120# Yew warbow yelling at me too , should be seasoned in November.
Hoping to make some cider in the meantime.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:41:25 am »
You are one of the most investigative and skilled bow maker that I know. Your bows are just works of art in skill and craftmanship just beautiful. It was a joy to visit your home and see all of your projects at once. I bet that one is going to be fast.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:41:15 am »
Dang Ed, you got some work to do this winter. Looks like a nice project pile to me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:31 am »
Someone's addicted to lever bows  ::)  :laugh: ....me too...welcome to the club  ;)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:41 am »
 Those all look awesome! Are you 8 feet tall? I can barely get a  full length bow picture by just standing above a bow :)
45# at 27"

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:21 am »
When your done with the horn bow and since u have two. Ill send u my address lol. I've always wanted one. Someday I should do a build along. I tried finding one on them but couldn't. It's on my bucket list. Very nice pile to keep u busy
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:35 am »
geee i WILL TAke THE OTHER ONE! I know you will make more lol
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:04 am »
I meant u should do a build along, lol def not me  :-X
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement fellas.I'm gonna need it.Thought I'd start with a before and after series of pics on these bows to be built.Yea your right without a build along for me to access once in a while guess I would'nt be so inclined to try.I'll keep a build along in mind to return the favor.
This heat treating of bows is pretty explanatory I think but if a person has the right type of form to do it on that helps and going with the flow of a stave instead of fighting it to make it something it does'nt want to be.I know it's not possible with some staves though so the fellas who make these out of this world type bows just amaze me.I've given a lot of bows away already for one reason or another but it's hard to find people who don't want to fall into the tecnological pit.I told a compound shooter the other day that he just give up[on his skills I meant] and was a quitter.......LOL.Heck when you see 10 year old kids shooting deer at 60 yards how hard is that. REALLY!!!!!
I'd like to get my hands on some quality yew sometime too.I've got some knarly & short irish yew here.Feather light stuff.The horn bow tillering is gonna be an adventure[good or bad] I figure.The static recurve bug has'nt bit me yet either.
Well this is turning into an around the camp fire thread by me so good luck with your bows too fellas.Stay cooooool.
BowEd
Ed