Author Topic: Beavertail handlewraps  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Beavertail handlewraps
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:50:23 pm »
From the pics I've seen so far, I am really interested in finishing my next bow with a beavertail handle.  I have found a place that sells them; they are split open on one end and dried.   To the folks that have finished a handle with beavertail, do you use a tanned tail or the airdried ones?  I've noticed a few places selling them, but only one place I've found specified that it was dried. The others didn't specify how they were treated.   Also, if you have some close-up pics you could post, that would be great.

Thanks,
Titan_Bow
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:54:50 pm by Titan_Bow »
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Beavertail handlewraps
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:16:45 pm »
All of the ones I have done have been with raw beavertails. I just flesh all the fat off and sew them on. I rubbed a little borax on the last one before sewing it. It dried faster, but didn't work any better than the rest. If you can't get a faw one I guess air dried would work if you soaked it long enough to soften it up.  Just be careful not to thin the edges too much, it's not very tough when it's green and will tear out very easy, especially if you ty to stretch it to much. Thats the joy of raw tails, they shrink down tight when they dry so you don't have to strech them when you put them on. Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Re: Beavertail handlewraps
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:35 pm »
ohhhh thats nice ;D
knapp 'um if you got 'um