Author Topic: using stone points for small game??  (Read 12575 times)

Offline billy

using stone points for small game??
« on: November 30, 2007, 05:07:03 pm »

Got a question....

I've shot 4 squirrels with those damn heavy HTM rubber blunts that my dad got from 3 rivers archery, and every one of those damn things ran off.  I shot one right in the chest in Iowa last year at a distance of 12 feet.  It knocked the squirrel out and I was trying to get to the squirrel to collect my prize, when the SOB woke up, shook it off, and ran back the other way!  That's the equivilant of a human getting shot in the chest with the flat end of a telephone pole at 70 mph.  No human would ever walk away from that, but that squirrel did!  I couldn't freakin believe it!

I shot 2 squirrels this fall with those rubber blunts and they both ran off unhurt.

So I quit using those blunts and started using stone points.  I killed 2 squirrels within 2 weeks of each other.  So now I'm sold on stone points more than ever.  Anyone ever had any similar experiences? 
Marietta, Georgia

wvfknapper

Re: using stone points for small game??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:13:01 pm »
Yeah same here,, I hit one in the back and luckily it broke his back and I was able to chase him down and wack him with a stick  ;D , others got away.........Stone points or broadheads are the way to go.

Robert

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:47:39 pm »
........Rubber blunts er good fer shootin' foks in the butt, THATS IT ! ;D I think the word is WORTHLESS ! :D :D :D......bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »
  Billy,Find the thread of all of us at Pat's Camporama.Those arrows I'm trieing to catch out of Cade's 55# bow have rubber blunts.I aint afraid of no rubber. ;D Squirrels are a heck of alot tougher than me ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:25 pm »
  Billy,Find the thread of all of us at Pat's Camporama.Those arrows I'm trieing to catch out of Cade's 55# bow have rubber blunts.I aint afraid of no rubber. ;D Squirrels are a heck of alot tougher than me ;)
    WOW ! What a guy ! ;D.....bob

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:08 am »
Bob, it was fun to watch. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:39:33 am »
You could get more damage from letting the fletchings slide through your hand.  ;D Especially if you didn't wrap the front of the quill.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:18:23 pm »
  Justin,they actually burn little streaks across your hand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:38:46 am »
I never ever use a blunt only to shoot at anything I want to kill.

I only use a blunt WITH a cutting blade for small game.....double whammy....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:17:24 pm »
Take a 38 casing drill out the now fired primer. Install a small nail into it. Then glue to shaft. Now you have a harder hitting blunt that also pennetrates

Offline Postman

Re:.38 blunt points, judos
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:22:39 pm »
Lilmoose  -

Thanks for that .38 with the nail idea idea. Have you found it effective?  do they skip up a bit if you hit short? Glad i haven't wasted shots  with my new barta blunts. (they are great for practice, though... haven't busted any arrows on some very ugly shots).- gonna try that .38 idea  -

Howzabout judo points? they're kinda pricey- hate to waste money for another glorified practice point. i know they don't skip, but hows the wallop?
Thanks guys
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:46:48 pm »
Blunt for when they are against the tree. Pancakes 'em. for not-on-tree shots, good ol' broadheads :).

Tree rats are the toughest things out there. Except maybe for Bob. But what do you expect? He's apparently part skunk-ape >:D!

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:49:36 pm »
                                 Hey kegan.....wanna come ta florida and hunt with me ? Can ya spell huntin' accid........... ah never mind !  ;D Yup part Skunk Ape and the other part is Cat, aint ya jealous ? ;D ;D ;D.......bob

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:52:32 pm »
Ya...Pole Cat ;)
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »
............No Koan Panther ! :o............bob