Author Topic: using stone points for small game??  (Read 12574 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: using stone points for small game??
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:03 pm »
Sorry...was thinkin of Mullet I guess. 8)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:41 pm »
..................Hey Brian..............Hahahahahahaha !  ;D ;D ;D ;D.......bob
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:59:40 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:23 pm »
Guess I shouldnt cast dispersions this close to the Christmas trade huh? Dont know whos got my name. :-X
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:48:40 pm »
here is a picture of some of my small game points

One is ground slate the other is a nut and the other one iis a .38 cartirge with the primer out and nail inserted

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 11:02:08 am »
Yeah that might work. Try alittle longer nail hone onthe grinder just alittle. You may need to grind the head of the nail to get threw the casing. Yes i find these to be the only way to go on tree rats. Sorry i don't skipp my shafts.  I just take aim & Hit.

kiliii

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 02:57:07 am »
Hmmmm, I might be in the minority here but I pretty much use blunts exclusively on everything up to the size of a snowshoe hare. My blunts, though, are solid hardwood about twice the diameter of the arrow shaft, and taper to 1/4".

I've had the opposite experience with squirrels-- every one I hit with a stone or other point ran with the arrow and got away. I lost a bunch that way. Then I switched to blunts and now with squirrels on shot and they are on the ground, twitching from a broken back and unable to escape. Same experience with ground squirrels and, sometimes, cottontails.

I also have found that wasting stone points on small game is a goodly waste of energy and resources-- one miss and then suddenly I have a lot of work to do to make that arrow shootable again. Blunts are usually fine (mine are also covered in a thin buckskin sock on the end to keep them from splitting).

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 10:47:32 am »
Hi,
I've had very good success with judo points. I know they're a bit expensive, but I don't lose many (only a couple a year). Every squirrel, rabbit, or grouse I've shot has been dead. I have had some bad luck, like the other folks here, with blunts. I've used the .38 shell casing, but not with the nail in the end. If you want to make a cheap home made judo point, mount a .38 casing and drill 2 holes perpendicular to the shaft in a drill press, and then pound nails throught he holes , so they stick out sideways.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 09:32:51 pm »
   I've used judo's on rabbits and really tore up some meat and guts.They would go clean through them and make a big hole and the the rabbit would crawl off into the palmetto's with the arrow.I kinda like the 38's or nutter's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 09:46:42 pm »
...Like Mullet said........bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »
  Brian,a bag of coal would suck. ;) ::) >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:34 pm »
I'll go from now on with the .38 cases and the nail. I have bucket full of them I'm not using to reload with at the moment. Dang, archery habbit has really screwed up my shooting addiction!  >:D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 08:21:22 pm »
[Brian,a bag of coal would suck.   /quote]

Unless you're into blacksmithing  ;D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 08:37:58 pm »
I'm gonna stone point some squirrels to death after deer season, will let ya'll know how it all goes ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.