Author Topic: urac glue up time?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
urac glue up time?
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:53:09 pm »
How long should I leave a glue up in the clamps this time of year in the basement....temp is around 70 degrees.???

Offline Jbell

Re: urac glue up time?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:15:31 pm »
10-12 hours will probably be just fine. Usually I check the glue that squezed out with my fingernail, if its hard as a rock then its ready....usually. ;) I would definately consider throwing a couple of heat lights on it. That will bring the temp up quite a bit.
Justin Blunt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:17:20 pm »
I believe it gives a temp/time suggestion on the can.  You should be able to feel the excess that oozes out and know when it is cured. 24 hours should be plenty of time if you can't tell otherwise. Unlike TiteBond glues that are water based, Urac works on a chemical reaction so when one part of it is cured, all of it is cured.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Adam Keiper

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:19 pm »
The can lists minimum clamp times for various temps.  I still leave things clamped 24-hrs just in case.  Just don't glue anything below the 65 degree minimum gluing temperature they show on the can.  Don't ask me how I know, but lets just say I don't glue anything in my chilly basement in the winter months.   :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:40:28 pm »
Adam, It has been a couple of years since I glued up a backed bow with Urac but I preferred to use the Urac right out of the frig and mix it and lay it down in a cold basement. It seemed to give me more working time. After glue up I always cooked it at 100deg(F) for a few hours and let it cool overnight, at least. I never had a glue failure.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:23:01 am »
Wonder why, or maybe someone has tried this, wrapping it in an electric blanket for a few hours while in the basement?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:34:41 am »
Any heat source will work. You can wrap it with tire inner tube strips and set it in the sun for a few hours. or in a parked car in the sun.     Pat

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:52:26 pm »
24 hours