Author Topic: Eastern Red cedar, how to season right?  (Read 3707 times)

Eric Kol

Eastern Red cedar, how to season right?
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:37:49 am »
Hey guys,
I had been eyeing a stand of red cedar for a while now, looking for the right tree, looking for recently cut tree etc.
Patience paid off and a tree was felled by a developer. I was able to get one or two useful staves, perhaps more.
I did a search of the forum for the wood and it seems like a good bow wood, prone to spontaneous destruction.
First off, I have never even finished a bow yet, so the carefull tillering might have to wait untill I've done a few.
How should I season this wood? I have split it already. I was planning on rough tillering and then sealing the ends with bark on the back.
Does this sound like an ok plan?
also, I read that a flat back and rounded belly might be a good design for this wood. Could someone please point me in the right directions for the measurments or layout for a good bow of this type?
Sounds like I can crown the sapwood and go at it taht way.
any suggestions would be appriciated.

one more thing. Is this also a good wood for me to make arrow shafts out of with the rest of the stock? I have plenty and I wouldn't mid planning some into shafts.

Thanks.

(6-9" of snow in the forcast for MN here. Can't wait to get out in the woods in that fresh white!)

Minuteman

Re: Eastern Red cedar, how to season right?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:01:16 pm »
I'd get it cut , split in 1/4's and seal the ends. I'd let it dry like that. I've taken a cedar stave down close to bow dims and had the dern thing twist badly on me.

If you have straight enough grain to make  some arrows out of it go ahead. I think if it was that straight " I "would be splicin a handle together and making a bow out of it.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Eastern Red cedar, how to season right?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 04:05:05 pm »
................Like Minuteman said. I leave em as 1/2's after splittin' Good luck ;).....bob