Author Topic: Flowering Dogwood  (Read 4975 times)

Don Case

Flowering Dogwood
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:01:10 am »
I've noticed on a few of the lists of woods that people have sent me to(thank you) that they list "Flowering Dogwood". Is this a generic term or are they referring to a specific species. What I am wondering is if Red Osier is considered a flowering dogwood. There is a Pacific Dogwood here but as it is the provincial emblem it's illegal to cut. This leaves me Red Osier. Oh, this is for bows, not arrows.
Don

Offline Josh B

Re: Flowering Dogwood
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
If you can find red osier big enough, it makes a fine bow.  Where I live, it's more of a shrub.  Every once in a while I find a piece big enough, but not often.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:14 am »
Flowering dogwood(Cornus florida) is the small understory tree with white flowers in the spring and red berries in the fall that is so common in the Eastern and Southeastern US. Red osier dogwood is also a true Cornus but is a shrub type dogwood and not a tree type dodwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:19:51 am »
If you can find red osier big enough, it makes a fine bow.  Where I live, it's more of a shrub.  Every once in a while I find a piece big enough, but not often.  Josh

I've got one in the backyard that is about 6" through the butt. My wife even wants it cut down. It's not that straight though.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:57:05 am »
Wow!  That's a dandy!  The biggest I've found was 3".  Dry it carefully, it checks easily.  It sounds like you will have some heat bending to do.  I've had much more luck with steam than dry heat with dogwood(both red osier and alternate leaf).  It's kinda stubborn in that regard.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:22:02 am »
Hey I like those cooked sticks send it my way ;)

Any dogwood makes a good servicable bow.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:09 am »
  Flowering dog woods a small tree. Iseen them 5,6 inchs.
  I've maded 5 bows from it. It's a good bow wood.
  I like it for bend in the handle bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »
I am in Wa. state....Pacific flowering dogwood is excellent wood, and very nice to work. The SG is around .72 I have never worked Eastern dogwood, so I could not compare.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:43:00 pm »
There is lots of Pacific Dogwood in the bush behind my house. I wish we were allowed to cut it. I'll use the Red Osier. I'm going to cut it today and see if there is any bows in it. I'm pretty sure the best I will do is a few billets.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »
I lied. :-[ It was only 4 1/2" through the butt. It's a guy thing

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »
So....if I'm understanding this correctly, the only reason you can't harvest the Pacific dogwood is because it's a provincial symbol?  Its not endangered in any way?  I'll give credit where credit is do.   Don, you are one of the most honest bow wood harvesters that I've ever heard of!  Lol!  I'm not saying, I'm just saying. >:D. Josh

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
 :) :) :) Well, well, would you shoot an eagle for it's feathers. It's kind of similar, sorta, well maybe not.  Anyhow I cut and split the Osier. Anyone need a propeller? 180 degrees of twist in 6 feet. It's really even twist. Don't even think it will make good garden stakes. What are the chances that it will warp in the right direction ;D The bark came off nice though.

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
My wife was Googling Pacific Dogwood and found that the Act that protected it was repealed in 2002 ;D ;D ;D. Some municipalities still protect it but I'm not in a municipality. Cut, cut cut

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »
Red osier is not bow wood. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »
Bummer about the red osier being twisted, but it sounds like you now have plenty of other options.  I hope to see some nice dogwood bows from you later on!  Josh