Author Topic: Do u like character bows  (Read 20483 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Are u hard core?????
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »
Gun doc, I have this thing called a job and school.

Good deal!  Glad to hear it!   So does that mean we won't be seeing any finished bow pics?  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »
where did those pics go, looked like one heck of a hinge right out of the fade on one side, but the pics are gone
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
They're still up, but they're on a different thread titled "bows of mine".  Although I don't know why the word bow was plural.  Typo maybe?  Josh

Offline sweetpea

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »
Hey, little Wood Bandit, How old are you? it's not nice calling a bunch of old farts out like Pearlie or Gun Doc. And I'm real suprised after running your mouth, I mean fingers, that you haven't posted any pictures of these BOM,,, oop's sorry, never saw your bows even entered in BOM, uuuuh any of your bows.

You can talk a bunch of crap and talk in circles for 5 pages but you still haven't shown anyone some of your Art work.

There is a load of talent on this site and it is almost always for free, if you know how to use it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
Hey, little Wood Bandit, How old are you? it's not nice calling a bunch of old farts out like Pearlie or Gun Doc. And I'm real suprised after running your mouth, I mean fingers, that you haven't posted any pictures of these BOM,,, oop's sorry, never saw your bows even entered in BOM, uuuuh any of your bows.

You can talk a bunch of crap and talk in circles for 5 pages but you still haven't shown anyone some of your Art work.

There is a load of talent on this site and it is almost always for free, if you know how to use it.

old farts hahaha ...the rest is very well put sweet pea

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 11:54:02 pm »

I am finishing up the one I'm doing right now. Hoping to get it done by Monday then get some real pics :) :) :) :) I will get some other pics of my other 2 osage bows in my possession. And bubby, it is a character bow and you'll see some pics. It has zero string follow or set or whatever people are calling it ;) it is 64" and 50# at 30". So obviously it is tillered good or at least as good ad I know how:) it has a reflex deflex ish profile that is natural so it is weird looking at brace and full draw. I'm sanding it and glueing bocote tips on. I will do a linseed and beeswax finish and  deer fur rest? I would rather show u guys all of them finished.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Do u like character bows
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:45 am »
 This is just like the sign at the bar that says, "free beer tomorrow"!
45# at 27"

Offline JonW

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:15 am »
I don't know how I missed this thread. If you don't have some pics it never happened. I get tired of kids talking too much crap nowadays. I hope you are not "from" Oklahoma. I know you're a kid and don't know any better but I would like to give you a thrashing for saying that. I'm PROUD to be an Okie. I'll go to bed now I must be getting cranky. >:(

Offline Josh B

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2013, 04:41:14 am »
Roflmao!  Hey sweatpea, don't be so reserved!  Go ahead and tell us how you really feel!  Lol!  Old fart huh?  I got to laughing so hard over that comment that I had tears rolling down my cheeks.  I haven't felt so good in weeks!  Thank you for that!   ;D. Josh

Offline Poggins

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:55 am »
I like the cracks , holes , twists , and bumps .
The main reason is someone always buys my straight staves before I get a chance to work on them , besides I live in Oklahoma and most of what I cut looks clean until I split it and get it down to the yellow , I do have my eyes on a straight osage that I will get to this winter .
I've got a stave at the house right now with a hole in it and its narrow also , bout an inch wide or so , just trying to decide wether to put the hole in the fade or in the working limb , that will determine the length .

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 10:29:19 am »
What part of Oklahoma do u live in? I'm really sorry guys I'm trying to get the bow finished so I can get it to Eric before hunting season. I just need to get it finished and then take pics. I will post my other two bows I have in my possession now
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
Just when I thought we had straightened out the squirrels...  :-[ >:( >:D

Jon

Offline Poggins

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »
South of Stillwater a ways .
Be careful around these fellas , they take bow building serious around here , they will ease off a little if you post your progress from time to time and will be glad to help if a problem should come up ( their knolage is priceless ).
With a situation going on with my mother I haven't picked up any wood or tools in a couple of months , the bow I'm working on for my supervisor at work is just hanging on the wall waiting for me to get back to it , I'm just burnt out and tiered right now , I have posted a pic of it a while back ( the OSS is going to get a bunch of rattan youth bows roughed out next weekend and I think helping with that might give me a jump start and put me back in the mood ).

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
It has zero string follow or set or whatever people are calling it ;)

just found some text on another archery site explaining the diffrence.

the difference between "set" and "string follow." First of all, all bows have set. "Set" is when the belly wood gets compressed, and the limb bends more toward the belly than it did before. Now let's say you take a bow with 5" of reflex, and after tillering it, it has 3" of reflex left. That means it has 2" of set because it has been deformed by 2".

But such a bow has no string follow. String follow is the amount of deflex in the bow. If you start off with a perfectly straight bow, and you end up with 2" of set, it will also have 2" of string follow. But if the bow starts off with 1" of reflex and takes a 2" set, it will have 1" of string follow. If you start off with 2" of reflex and take 2" of set, the bow will be perfectly straight with no string follow.

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.