Author Topic: Flintknappers or info on knapping in Wyoming?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Flintknappers or info on knapping in Wyoming?
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:16:21 pm »
I have been searching all over the internet but as of yet have not found anything useful for the terms wyoming flintknapping and such related terms. Any flintknappers out there in wyoming? if so maybe sometime this year or the next we could meet up and do some knapping? Rockhound also would be of interest to me because I'm going to college in Wyoming and know very little about it and its rocks and such.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Flintknappers or info on knapping in Wyoming?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:27:46 pm »
Where are you going to be going to college in Wyo?  Laramie or one of the Jr. Colleges across the state.  The reason I ask is Wyoming is a big state!  Lots of materials to work with here and there are a few knappers around, but not all belong to the PA site!  I live just out of Meeteetse which is South of Cody.  If you are going to Laramie you would actually be closer to some knappers in Nebraska!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »
Ill be located in Lander WY. Nice small town, the college I go to has 600 acres of land with 1500 of blm that is only accessible through the college property so I imagine i have plenty to work with ive just never gone rock hunting and ive never really identified the rocks out here. The college im attending is Wyoming Catholic College(WCC) in case you are wondering

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:33:15 am »
Lander is not that far away.  There is a Rez close by.  That country was under water all those years ago so has every thing from the Chugwater formation to areas where you can find jade (Not a knapping stone) and agates which can be knapped.  Some pretty good hunting around there and also some fishing in Boyson Reservoir.  Hawk Huston and I try to make it to Boyson around Father's day every year to shoot carp with our bows.  Good luck with the College experience.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
Is there any info that I could use to understand what I should be doing during rockhounding? As I said I've never done it before so I wouldn't know. What type of rocks I should be looking for, how do I identify them if they have a cortex ect.