Author Topic: Heating black locust  (Read 3002 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Heating black locust
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:04:08 am »
I'm finally getting around to workiing with black locust for the first time.Took a little deflex out of a tip and noticed this stuff sure turns dark in a hurry from a heat gun.A lot quicker than hickory or elm.I do plan on heat treating this over a half form I got for my reflex.I figure if the form is narrower than the bow limb it should'nt reflect back up onto the back quite so bad and just give it a medium treatment.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Heating black locust
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:41:46 am »
I find the stuff turns lots quicker than hickory. Bl is a great bow wood.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:54 am »
That's what I found to ed. I have made only two, but both turned very snappy after heat treatment.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:22 am »
Thanks for the encouragement fellas.No chrysalls?.......LOL.I realize spot on tiller is a must with this stuff but do ya think the heat treatment kinda helps prevent em?I use a sanding block with appropriate grit paper lengthwise to take absolutely any ripples of any kind off of the belly before I bend it too far.It's another levered bow with maybe 30 to 31 inches of working limbs asking it to draw 28".
I don't know about you fellas[but sure you do too] but a guy sure gets a lot of forms hanging around for every type of bend you want to put on a bow......LOL.
WOW !!!!! quicker than hickory.I've been impressed by heat treatment on hickory before.Seems like it's not quite as dense and maybe a little more brittle.I can see why it could get quick after heat treatment.The tension strength probably won't be as good as hickory or be quite as elastic if you know what I mean.Has anybody ever given black locust two heat treatments through the process of tillering?I imagine that might be pushing it with this stuff.
Well no more anxious questions here.....LOL I just gotta get to makin the bow.It's floor tillered and dry.I'm sure it is'nt more than a 60# bow at this time.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:51 am »
It colors fast Ed, almost purpley colored I think. Id suggest holding the gun much farther away than normal so its gets time to penetrate and work, otherwise its just getting dark in seconds and I cant how that would help?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:48:22 am »
Yea PD I noticed that taking a little deflex out of a tip that it colors up fast like you said at 4" away....Even 5" away might be too close.Kinda like KCT wood only not quite as purple.I don't know why I gotta fool with this finicky wood when I've got a lot of hedge dry on the rack......LOL.Like they say it's just wood.
BowEd
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
I told ya to be careful with a heat gun and black locust...didn't listen did ya? Lol...just had to go find out for yourself  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D