Author Topic: I got my 50# broadhead self bow record back  (Read 16566 times)

Offline Badger

I got my 50# broadhead self bow record back
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »
      Just got back from our flight shoots. I was very happy to pick up two records this year. Most happy about my 50# broadhead record that I had lost a few years ago and then failed in a bid to win it back last year. Last year I came within 10" of getting it back and conditions were not good so I decided to go back with the same bow and arrow this year and hope for better conditions. The existing record was 211 yards and I moved it up to 221 yds. My first record was 202 yards, a year later I got it up to 206 yards and then was beaten with the 211 shot. Happy to have the record back and will also be happy to see it broken again possibly by someone else.

The next record was in the simple complex 50# class. This just means a backed bow. Current record was 321 yards and had stood for 20 years, I moved it up to 346 yards. We have a blast out thier and I have no doubt that many of you would be competitive and take home your share of records. I hope to see some of you in future years. Steve

Don Case

Re: I got my 50# broadhead self bow record back
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:27 pm »
10 and 25 yds! Those sound like substantial improvement. Especially 25 on a 25 yr old record. That should stand for a while. Congratulations.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
Congrats!!!

Would like to see the competition - too bad flight shooting is not etablished here in Germany.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:32 pm »
Congrats on your wins!that's interesting that a backed bow would out shoot a self by over 100 yards!wow!good job steve!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
  The backed bow was shooting light flight arrows and the self bow was shooting 500 grain broadheads. I shot the same backed bow in the broadhead division and it only shot 211 yards, not bad but not good enough for the record in that class which is 227 yards.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »
Oic,that makes all the difference,you can tell how much I know!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:57:23 pm »
Excellent  8)

Lets have a look at the bow then :) Would love to know about the specs for the various competitions? draw, arrow weight, distance etc.

Thanks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
Cool dude.
we want pic... we want pics...  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »
Congrats badger!
It's good to see ya got it back. Are ya open to telling us what design your record bows are? I don't shoot flight but as a hunter I am sure ya could give us some good concepts to go by
Greg

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:35:39 pm »
     Twisted, the basic design of the bow is not radical, I do have a little more than usual reflex in the last 12" of the limb, it measures 4" reflex. mass is about 21 oz. Tips are not all that narrow at 3/8". Nothing really extreme. I did use the no set tillering method building it and the bow has not lost even a fraction of a pound after 3 years of use. I don't shoot it a lot but I have used it in a few 3 d tournaments and in the backyard for target pratice now and then. I will see if I can get my son to take a pic of it in the next day or two.  The backed bow I built many years ago, bamboo backed osage and I thought it was shot out as it has lost several pounds of draw weight over the years, it is a simple r/d shape with the tips about 2" behind the back, when I first built the bow they were 4" behind the back but an occassional overdraw has taken its toll.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
Congratulations and well done Sir!  Josh

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »
Thanks badger,
Goes to show how good tiller can go a long ways
I did shoot one of my hunting bows for distance that I was careful in tillering and despite 70 percent humidity it still did well at 10 GOP.
Thanks much,
Greg

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »
Steve, thats awesome!!!!
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 06:56:52 pm »
Hell yes.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 06:58:10 pm »
  I don't post often anymore but whenever something good happens this is the first place I want to come home to share. I don't want to cme off as bragging becaue I have no delusions that many of you on here could give me a run for my money and I would have fun winning or loosing against anyone of you.