Author Topic: Snake skin application?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Snake skin application?
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:44:25 pm »
What is the best way to skin a bow? And do I do it before or after final tillering?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Snake skin application?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:10:32 pm »
I wait to skin a but until after it is tillered and shot in.  You don't want to waste good skins on a bad bow.  I soak the skins in water for a few minutes to get them pliable.  When I take them out of the water I'll run it through my fingers to remove excess water.  I hang them up for a minute or two to let more water drip off.  I spread TB3 on the back of the bow and then apply the skin.  I make sure the pattern is centered on the limb and I take my finger and push any air bubbles off the sides.  Some people wrap the skins with ace bandages or something similar.  I wrapped the last one I backed with twine.  It seemed to work fine.  I have also done it with no wrapping and didn't see a difference.  I left one in the sun once and the skin started to dry and curl up before the glue set.  Once everything is dry trim the extra skins off.  I use a smooth file to hit the edge of the back and it leaves a clean line.  Use tape or something to remove all the scales and you are ready for tru oil or whatever you want to finish it with.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
Thanks
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »
Do it like this, leave out the super glue step as it is not necessary.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045038;p=1