Author Topic: Stick's and stone's doo kill  (Read 24275 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Stick's and stone's doo kill
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:15:12 am »
Well I hate to post this seeing as how it's cheating, but I took my brother huntin today and he scored on an eight point. Theirs a narrow lane in front of my stand and the deer here this year are real jumpy, he had about two seconds to react after sighting the buck. Said he had the crosshairs on his chest when he pulled the trigger, but after closer inspection (after death) it was discovered that both back legs were broken, turns out the deer was jumping the fence at the same time the trigger was being pulled.
  I was still huntin with my gear when I heard the shot and gave a silent (yeah!!) after jumping through my skin. Went to see what he'd bagged and their was some question as to whether he'd hit in or not.
  The blood trail was easy to follow, after about 120 yards the deer took off again. I snuck around within about 15 yards and stuck a stone point through his heart ;D.
  I was really impressed with how well the homemade equipment worked out - It was my first hik bow, and my first set of stone point arra's. The arra hit it's mark, and buried up about ten inches. Poor boy took about two more steps and laid it's head down forever - it couldn't be let go then.........

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

Re: Stick's and stone's doo kill
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:06:33 am »
Nice buck cowboy, glad to see you got some venison.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:55:30 am »
Teamwork!-- and the chance for your brother to see primitive tools work.  You have gained a new confidence in your equipment's efficency, and the family gets some venison. Can't beat that!
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:56:07 am »
Awesome. Nice buck, looks like a perfect shot, too (yours  ;D ).
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:05:33 am »
Nice job Cowboy. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:36:09 am »
Thanks guys, yep it all came full circle for me yesterday. Your right Chad, I do have a new respect for this primitive gear - that stone point went through a rib bone then through the heart, didn't even break the tip ;D.
  I forgot to post some pic's of my stone knife in action, it's a formidable weapon in it's self :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:00:32 pm »
Good job Paul, I'm glad to see a primitive hunter showing a gun hunter how to do it right.  Quicker, faster, cleaner, well done.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:54:27 pm »
Well done Paul. Glad to see that you and your brother got a deer.  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:54:01 pm »
  I love it Paul,Great job.I still havn't got a deer yet.Look's like your brother has the fever now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:15:21 pm »
I appreciate it guys - I don't consider that a kill though. He was pretty much done when we got to him - I just put him out of his misery. More of a personal test to see how well those stone points penetrate - I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of one for sure. It was an exciting shot none the less though ;D.

Offline white wood

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:03:53 am »
awesome deer you got there paul! pretty sweet you didnt break the point! glad to see you had your bro out in the bow shop too! sooooo.... who got the deer?  ;D -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:17 pm »
Hey Jesse - he's more a fisherman than hunter, but works with his hands also (builds boats for a hobby) so he pretty naturally took to working with this wood and enjoys it - another victim ;D. We split the deer up evenly - he took the head and meat, I took sinew ;).

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 02:07:56 pm »

Glad you got to test out your equipment and see its capabilities. ;)

Maybe your brother will invite you over for some deer steaks one evening soon. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Roger

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:42 pm »
"We split the deer up evenly - he took the head and meat, I took sinew"

Heh heh heh....wtg Bro!

R

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:31:09 pm »
I'm sure he will Greg, his wife is from Chile and cooks some darn good dishes that I never heard of before - maybe she's got some kind of vinison recipe from down south that I could share ;D.
 Hey Roger - good ta hear from you. That's the way it went down, he's never killed anything bigger'na spike - I know you can't eat the horns but I was sure hoping he'd see something like that. Id'a kept the hide too but there wasn't much left after the cape came off..