Author Topic: Going scouting tmrw...  (Read 2372 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Going scouting tmrw...
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »
I'm stoked. Tomorrow is opening day for archery season on our Coast Range Blacktail deer. Got a spot about 50 minutes from home, and I've been hearing about some nice bucks.  Gonna spend tmrw morning scouting (with my bow n arrows...just in case).  I oughta return with some pictures.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Going scouting tmrw...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:40:34 am »
This is where I'll be going

And this is what I'll be bringing.  The bow is a really nice Osage from Paulsemp in this years bow trade.  My lucky arrow is in the middle (bamboo with an insert).  All the arrows are capped with 145 grain STOS broad heads, that I sharpened till they hurt to look at.  The knife is a short little filet knife that I favor.  I'v been liking thinner and thinner knives over time.

Stay tuned.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:44:23 am »
Going scouting tomorrow as well :) can't wait to see what yah get!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:09:26 am »
wow Gabe that is quite the honor!  I am so happy that not only the bow fits you but the fact you shoot it well enough to trust it out in the field. to be perfectly honest I was shooting that bow so well that was quite hard to get rid of. what a honor and I hope you bring home some meat with that thing 8)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14:23 am »
Well, just got back from my "scouting trip." 

I got to the property about 5:15, sunrise is 6:30. The place is mixed oak/doug fir with meadows of now dry grass ranging from 1-5 acres in between. I was trying to get an idea about how the deer moved across this landscape.  I set up on the edge of a pasture under a branching fir and waited for sunrise.

About 6:30 just at sunrise I saw two does in the pasture about 300 yards away. As I was watching them a flicker caught my eye and I saw a nice forked horn (he was a healthy looking deer, carrying some fat) just entering my little meadow at about 35 yards. He was looking straight at me, so I acted like a statue for what seemed like a really long time. Than he come walking straight towards me. The whole thing took about a 1/2 hr, and I was kneeling the whole time.  My lower legs got completely numb. Anyway, to make a long and agonizing story really short, this boy walked within 12 yards, but he was antsy and knew something wasn't right. He started to turn broadside, and than snorted and kipped away to the forest edge at about 25 yards. Before he entered the woods he stopped and peered towards me, presenting a quartering away shot.  I took the shot, but he was already moving again and the arrow sailed about 2" over his back.

Definitely operator error because that bow shoots fast and straight. I've been sort of kicking myself for even taking the shot... but, its one of those decisions that comes in the moment.

Anyway, I set up some ground blinds from fir branches and dead grass, along a few major trails. And I think I'm getting the hang of how these  deer move.  The property owner has been kind enough to invite me back.... so, I think things could easily come together here this season.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:10:02 am »
makes for an exciting opening day.
I'm glad you shared the story as archery season doesn't open here (central Va) until Oct.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:11:11 am »
  You should try scouting and setting up hunting sites in the winter. Then go back when the time and winds right for that site the next season. Walking around reveiling your sent now to bucks makes them 10 times harder to hunt when they find out your there or been there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »
Good luck Gabe.  You will have some meat in the freezer before you know it.

owlbait

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
Good Luck. I met Paul at Elm Hall. Seems like a nice enough fellow, and from the looks of it, a fine bowyer. Make him and yourself proud by bloodying that weapon! Can't hunt small game until Sept. 15 here, and then deer Oct. 1st.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:12:07 am »
Good story,thanks for sharing,hang in there,it will happen. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
Well, I been out four times now. Nothing yet. After the miss on day one, I only saw does the next two mornings. Two days ago I saw a huge 8 point blacktail bedded down in the middle of a field under the only tree in 75 yards.  No approach possible. But i tried anyway.  I got within 45 yards... busted. He was an old boy and had been around the block.

Yesterday I had a grey fox  hunt and kill a brush rabbit right in front of me, about 10 yards away. I must have been well concealed cause he didn't even notice me. Super cool to watch.  Than he drops the rabbit and scampers out of there. I guess he winded me. Than he starts making these demonic snarly noises, and takes off. He left the rabbit, so I took it home to make string silencers. I felt kinda bad taking his breakfast, but he done took off. Maybe he was feeling bad for me getting skunked.

Anyway, I still got a couple weeks. I think it will come together. I been watching the bucks move on the hill and I think I'm getting the general trend of their behavior. There's a big rocky outcropping right next to a ridge trail that will make a great ambush spot..... stay tuned.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:23:08 pm »
Sounds like it could be worse.  At least you're seeing critters. 

I have no room to talk but you gotta keep pluggin away in order to be successful.   Stick with it.  Keep you nose into the wind.

Good luck.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:42 am »
How's the hunting Gabe?
Clatskanie, Oregon