Author Topic: Heating in profiles on bows  (Read 874 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Heating in profiles on bows
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:13 am »
Heated in a little back set profile on a deflexed handled BL lately.Only an 1 1/2".If it's like hickory it should hold at least half of it.I partially tillerd this one to 20" before heat treatment.Guess every piece of wood can be different as to holding a heat treatment.I'll find out in a week or so.I wonder if reheat treating BL is kinda risky.I had to hold my heat gun about 5" away and steadily moved along as it did turn darker quicker than say hickory or elm.I did shoot a laser thermometer on it as I progressed and usually run the temperature up to about 400 degrees F for at least a minute before moving along.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Heating in profiles on bows
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:13 am »
side view profile.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »
Ed I never think twice about re-tempering any woods if I think they need it. I think most need it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:55 pm »
Well it was a thought because I have overly dried hickory before [probably three heatings though in the bending portion] and had a dry snap with that stuff.It can depend I think whether the area is in the bending portion of the bow and how stressful of a design it is.The stiff areas are'nt as much of a concern.I just thought that BL is a little more brittle than hickory and I should keep that in mind.I imagine it gains some draw poundage like most woods that are less dense than hedge.
BowEd
Ed