Author Topic: northern snakes?  (Read 6938 times)

rocker

northern snakes?
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:31:47 am »
anyone know what kinds of snakes i could find in pennsylvania to back a bow with?the last time i read our rattler laws i think they said with a rattler permit you can only kill one a year,thought maybe someone would know of other good sized snakes up here in the north that were easier to obtain.
                                                                                                                                      thanks
                                                                                                                                        dave

Offline DanaM

Re: northern snakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:56:37 am »
Possible Eastern fox or pine snakes as we call em.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

wvfknapper

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:27:26 pm »
Rocker

I am just below you in WV and we have a number of good bow backing snakes,, Black snakes are the longest with some being over 6 ft long (Just need One  ;) ),, Eastern Timber rattlers (yellow are the larger females and the black smaller ones are male) , Copperheads (Nasty Boogers) ,, Milk Snakes or also known as house copperheads (resemble copperheads without the fangs and their non poisonous and no diamond shaped head)  ,, Water snakes that look a lot like copperheads but are non poisonous.........Thats the best ones that I know of here.

Robert

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:42:50 pm »
  Why kill the nice one's? I'm not a tree hugger,I just don't like rat's in my shop.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

wvfknapper

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 05:52:23 pm »
Thats true,, I usually let the black snakes go unless they scare the crap out of me........I went in my shop one night and the light switch was across the room and I reached to turn the light on and had a bunch of flint and obsidian slabs and spalls on the table below the switch and the whole batch wash moving (about a 2 ft area) as a big snake was laying there below my hand  ::) I went and got a flashlight and it was a 67 inch black racer,, needless to say he made a nice backing on a sinew backed hickory bow.... I catch the Gardner snakes and small black snakes from the yard by hand and take them against the hill and turn em loose,, they do eat a lot of bugs and mice.

Robert

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 06:16:36 pm »
 I know what you mean.I have a black snake that lives in the front yard by my front door.Scares the crap out of me all the time.But it's not as bad as the Cuban tree frogs that jump on you in the dark with those big suction cup hands. :o
Lakeland, Florida

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 08:08:25 pm »
lol  :o

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:46:20 pm »
How many tree frogs does it take to back a bow?

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:51:26 pm »
  Ron,probally about 6 to a limb.Way more than Monitor and Komodo lizards.
Lakeland, Florida

rocker

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:08 pm »
thanks for the answers fellas!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:43:28 pm »
Always be on the look out for the elusive Northern snow Snake ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 09:53:28 pm »
Always be on the look out for the elusive Northern snow Snake ;) ;D
Ya mean the one that crawls up yer... and ya freeze ta death ? ;D......bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:13:25 pm »
  What's it look like skinned? 8)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 06:00:25 am »
Thats the one bob ;) rarer than frog hair but very dangerous ;D

Manistique, MI