Author Topic: River cane ID question  (Read 2293 times)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
River cane ID question
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
I have made cane arrows for years. all my cane came from my Dads back yard, it was perfectly round with long spaced nodes. My Dad passed away and we sold the place so I don't have access to that cane any more. There is plenty of cane growing around here but it is different, every node has a groove about half way down alternating from one side to the other and the node spacing is much closer. Foliage, color, etc. look the same.  My question is : Is this River cane? Second question: Does any one have any idea what that was growing in my Dads back yard? What ever it was it is much superior to the cane I am finding around here. Any help greatly appreciated. > Dan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: River cane ID question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:18:12 pm »
If the cane that grew at your Dad's place was a clump type bamboo it sounds like Bambusa multiplex. How tall does this bamboo get?   Where do you live?  The other, with the groove(sulcus) could be river cane. How tall does it get?
 The Bambusa, if that is what it is, makes excellant arrow. Most arrows I made with it had only 2 nodes in a 30" shaft. Bambusa also has vary thick walls and a small center hole.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »
Hi Pat, I'm in southeast Texas, Both are about the same height, around 12 to 14 foot high. Your description of Bambusa Multiplex sound about right as it is thick wall and yes you can get arrows with only 2 nodes. I have made a few arrows out of the local cane and it will make a fair arrow but no comparison to the original cane I used to get. I would like to plant some. Thanks Dan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:30:34 pm by tallpine »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
It transplants easily. Go ask the folks that bought your Dad's place if you can divide some off of one side for sentimental reasons. You'll need a stout shovel and maybe an ax to cut through the rhyzomes. Leave the culms(canes ) full length when you transplant it or it will take forever for the culms to get that tall again.
 The clumps of Bambusa I've seen and collected from were only about 8' to 10' in diameter and did not spread past that after about 50 years of being planted.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »
Thank Pat, After some Googling I'm almost positive that's what it is. I believe I will go by and talk to them and see if I can get some. What's the best time of the year to plant?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:13:27 am »
Winter is probably the best time but whenever you can trumps that.  ;)