Author Topic: Cane vs POC spine?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Jerry Gowins

Cane vs POC spine?
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
I'm new to primitive archery, so I hope this question doesn't sound dumb. I'm preparing to order some cane shafts from Kustom King, but have a question. I've been told that cane is more forgiving in spine than cedar or fir. I'm shooting 45/50# fir out of my 53# BBY.

Any thoughts? Do I need a higher or lower spine with cane? Or do they shoot the same as the above mentioned woods?

Thanks!

Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Cane vs POC spine?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »
A 45-50 spine is a 45-50 spine no matter the shafts make up. When you hear about cane/boo being more forgiving the person is saying, for example, a 50# spine boo shaft will fly out of a 45-60 bow great whereas a 50# wood shaft wont perform well in that same wide range. Therefore the cane/boo shafting is more forgiving in draw weight variance.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jerry Gowins

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:09 pm »
Thank you! That is what I had heard and was looking for. Perhaps I should have phrased my question differently. I know the spine scale reads the stiffness no matter what the shaft is made of. I should have asked if cane was as critical as fir/POC in the area of spine.

Thanks again!

Jerry

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:09:55 pm »
Cane or bamboo shafts are hollow. Cedar, etc. is not. I've heard (and I can't remember where) that the hollow shafts will move through paradox faster. IOWs, they oscillate faster and recover quicker from being bent. I think that translates into stiffer spined cane shafts working the same as softer spined solids. I think the cane reacts a lot like carbon fiber shafts, which are much stiffer than wood shafts, but fly nicely out of my trad bows. I have some GoldTip carbon traditionals 3355, and they're much stiffer than any wood arrow I shoot, but they fly wonderfully out of most of my bows above 40#. 

I think the spine values are geared towards solid wood shafts.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:10:24 am »
Plus it has a natural tapper and that helps in the same way a tappered poc
will be more forgiving.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good