Author Topic: Getting horn laminations from gemsbok horn.[Pics added]  (Read 55301 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Getting horn laminations from gemsbok horn.[Pics added]
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »
Or left flat with no grooves.Each will work on horn bows.To put them on regular self bows they don't need to be grooved.Just roughened up with lines from a hack saw blade and a slow setting epoxy used or hide glue too.Either c clamped every two inches for sure or wrapped with an inner tube wrap.Here is the results of one of my bows.My maple bow.I love this bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »
Side view.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »
This is Exactly what I was looking for!

Thank You Sir!
I have all the tools except for the Laser and Spindle Sander.
And I'll be hunting them soon.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 07:58:25 pm »
The laser thermometer will be chaep.The table top spindle sander if brand new runs about 130$ from Grizzly.Have fun.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
Did a weight check on these laminations.They weight 6.9 ounces or 195 grams together.One weighs 1488 grains.The other weighs 1520 grains.A 32 grain difference.Not bad for eye balling it in my world sanding and all.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:52 am »
What you soon realize making bows with horn,sinew and wood is the amazing properties they bring to the table.To me well worth the effort.You learn things that carry over to making wooden bows only.Your skills get sharpened even more if only trying one.To make these though it helps immensly if you've  made at least a few dozen self bows with good success and a dozen or so sinewed bows too.That's to make horn bows.To just beef up a self bow is'nt that big a task to do.Myself I pay more attention to the percentages of depth of the surface area doing the work.The thinner the core gets the less it works but to only give stability and does no stretching or compressing.They are made to last a lifetime.Most guys making these self bows have more than enough bows hanging around and if you want to challenge yourself give it a try.I've shot out in the rain for hours with my maple with no loss of draw weight or cast in 90 degree heat.Very durable.
BowEd
Ed

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 03:50:49 am »
Wow,  You sure worked fast once that horn arrived!  The result looks great.  I've got the horn bow bug bad, so this will come in handy.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57:06 am »
Yea I was surprised myself too.Some thought out plans go quicker than others.It helps if you've done it a few times before.
I had a fella bugging me to try to get some whale baleen.He thought it was more dense than gemsbok & so much longer too.I investigated it and it has to come from a native of Alaska[Which is the only place I tried.Could be other places but I'm afraid it'll get expensive] like an eskimo.It's pretty well protected.Never tried water buffalo but I'm sure it's doable but a little more expensive.I think my way of heating flat would take the twist out of any water buffalo horn too.Bison horn most times will need butt joints and sinew wraps and wonderful little powerhouse bows have been made on this site too.I here water buffalo horn is denser than gemsbok horn or finer grained so to speak.Hav'nt used it yet though.Gemsbok horn is a horn that is plenty dense enough for bows,it's cheaper,and easier to work with in my opinion.Really I'm a fledgling in this horn bow making,but after a dozen or so made you get a good feel for what you are doing.
Now sheep horn I've never actually made a bow out of.Just used it for overlay tips etc.It seems to be plenty dense.More so than gemsbok horn.Maybe more brittle yet too.But I've seen sinewed sheep horn bows made on this site that are phenominal.Now if you want an education about getting twist out of horn there's the place.Amazing to say the least.
Bone and antler come into the picture here too but will need butt joints & most likely sinew wraps also.Still doable though as seen on this site too.That's why I like gemsbok no wraps or butt joints.
Shorter more reflexed bows get the best out of horn,but it can chrysal too like wood if put into too much extreme a design with poor tillering but pretty rare.
I'm sure there's someone on this site that can shed a little more light yet on the subject of horn on bows or for bows.
It can seem like an over whelming task but like I said earlier if you want to challenge yourself give it a try.We're all here to learn.
BowEd
Ed

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:22 am »
thank you for doing this. It's one thing that's definitely on my bucket list one of these days

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:33 am »
Your welcome.
One thing that stops a lot of people yet too is the fact that it can take 6 months for this sinew to cure.That's just on sinewed horn bows.OK...so what.What I do is just make more self bows inbetween the wait.Does'nt slow my stride down any in making bows.
To me woods to be used with horn should be elastic,tension strong diffouse pourous white woods.Ironwood and maple at the top of my list.Both woods air dried too not kiln dried.Just my opinion here and what I've read more so than what I've experienced.Although I did try a maple core kiln dried and thought it was too brittle.Using osage for this is too much of a wash, too dense and the fact that osage can have an oil most time that inhibits good glueing.Osage is such a wonderful wood that I feel it can stand on it's own alone in almost any design.
My first horn bow curing here has a ring pourous hickory core but the early wood was like just dotted lines.Hopefully my prep work before glue ups have been good.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
OK here's a picture of a horn bow ready for sinew.Horn and core grooved and glued with hide glue.The handle glued on.The limbs are width and thickness dimensioned.The core is 40" long so is the horn in two laminations.The V splice is 4" deep for the levers.The tip I hav'nt decided yet how long for it to be but right now it's 5.5" long.Which makes it a 50" TTT.Probably 48" NTN.Core is ironwood as is the handle.Levers are red elm.Horn is gemsbok.I'll see if I can add pictures as this progresses.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:20 pm »
Yes Sir,

That looks down right Sexy...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
Excellent build along! Thank you!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 11:15:50 am »
Your welcome toomanyknots...My intentions are to create more discussions of the use of horn on this site so I have someone elses viewpoints to relate to and learn from.I'm happy it's been allowed to stay on this thread by the PA moderaters.After all it is natural materials I figure.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
Nice build along, Ed. I have horn(water buff) sinew and wood. Now I need the time to get started. I want to make a Plains style horn bow.
 James Parker told me that Urac works well on horn/wood combo so that is another glue option for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC