Author Topic: Beaver Bow II  (Read 2558 times)

Offline sleek

Beaver Bow II
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:16:23 am »
So several months back while walking a river I found a beaver dam. You know those critters a pretty good at cutting and debarking staves for you. So me being me and having made a bow from beaver snack left overs before I kicked around a bit and found this loose stave ( ash maybe? ) narrow in diameter and deflexed. A perfect combo. Took it home and let it dry for a while.

Now my wife has a friend who has a 12 year old who requested a bow a bit back. I reckoned I would mess up on an adult bow and make it into his. Well I did, then proceeded to screw up the adult bow so bad it couldnt even be made into a kids bow. Feeling guilty over how long it has been I picked through my stave stash found this and thought.... maybe.

I left it full length and only trimmed down the tips and fat side to match the narrow limb. Did some band saw tillering to get it floor tillered and let the belt sander do the rest. I was aiming for 20@24 but it seemed happy at 27@24 so I let it be. Havent shot it yet and dont have a full draw for you guys but here is what I can get now. Hemp handle wrap and a bit of antler scrap for a rest. Minus the wrap and antler this bow is just like the bow I have in the museum in North Carolina from a beaver snack. I hope he likes it.  Set is about 1.5 inches, ntn is 54 inches and its 1 inch wide. Look at the handle you can see how deflexed the stave was.

I left the teeth marks and bark scraps on the back

I think the tiller came out ok. Hope to get a fd pic for you guys tomorrow.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Beaver Bow II
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
Cool bow,I would have never thought of trying that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:05:24 am »
very nice. i need to find some bevers as it seems they do all the hard work. or maybe just get one as a pet and add it to my collection of 2 lizards 2 toads and 5 snakes. sorry went a bit off topic there. cool bow can't wait to see F/D pic and the smile on the kids face.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
That bow is... interesting.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:34 am »
Your giving that to a kid?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:08 pm »
Yeah pd that's my intention. After shooting it a bunch first. You think its too ugly or unsafe?

Thanks everybody. Pappy, you ought to give it a go. Works great and makes a really interesting looking bow.  Does anybody else think its not kid worthy? I dont get offended from folks expressing opinion.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:37:29 pm by sleek »

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »
I wouldn't give that to anyone. I think it'll break eventually with the back the way it is, and it would be bad if someone got hurt, especially a kid. JMHO.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »
Very unsafe man. We preach a clean back with no violations for good reason. Your other bow of this sort doesn't get shot, so who knows just how good it really is right? Id make the little guy a "regular" bow and leave this one around for a fun conversation over drinking beers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 03:16:01 pm »
Well would it help knowing that the back isn't violated at all?  Beavers don't actually eat the wood, just the bark and a re surgeons in removing it. My last one I shot a bunch as a target bow before it was donated. But if yall still think its a bad idea I will just make another. Probably going to need to trade for a kid worthy stave as I'm almost out of my staves.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »
I would call that back violated. Its your call man.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »
The only back I can see looks rough, but not violated. If it all looks like that I'd be comfortable with it after a couple hundred arrows, and you could always give up on the look and back it if you're sure this is the bow for the kid.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:15 pm »
Back it with something?
I have a 45" stave of elm if you are interested.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:56:19 am »
It is your call.
The back looks rough in the picture but pictures don't necessarily tell the whole story - I couldn't tell without having it in my hands. I guess you are saying the rough spots are the cambium layer that has been left on? If the back is untouched then you know the answer.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
Yeah the back is untouched, maybe a few nibble marks if any. Beaver dont eat wood. Just bark. And nature being efficient, I dont believe a beaver would take a bite of something he is just going to spit out. But now that I see some folks around here have issue with this, I am worried. I dont want to say they dont know what they are talking about, and I dont want it to appear that I am not concerned for a kids safety by handing over a questionable ( in the eyes of others ) bow.  But I also believe this bow to be safe, haveing made one just like it before that shot for a year as a taget bow, and this one will be shot also to check for integrity. But Now, with some folks calling question I am reluctant to do anything now. Sheesh.... Awkward.

And I should add, I am not insulted nor do i mind one bit folks expressing concern. Its just that I am unsure what to do now with this bow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:14:08 am by sleek »

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:13 am »
No it's not awkward at all!
It's your call.......if the back is untouched then it's untouched.
If it's untouched and is ash it won't break (if made correctly  ;) ).
You know how to make a bow so trust what you know. It's really impossible to tell without taking a scraper too it.
  :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:33:40 pm by mikekeswick »