Author Topic: Beaver Bow II  (Read 2562 times)

Offline IsaacW

Re: Beaver Bow II
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:40 am »
As someone obsessed with beaver, I think the bow is AWESOME.  As for the back... who knows.  If it is just dented or what, maybe it will be fine.  Heck, an unviolated back can blow out sometimes too.  I would say shoot the son-of-a-beaver and if it breaks... build a new one.  If the kids is that of a friend, I would just explain the bow and tell them if it breaks, you will make it right.  But what do I know... still a cool idea.

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:07 pm »
How about a full draw pic? Looks to me like the outer half of both limbs will be very stiff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »
How about a full draw pic? Looks to me like the outer half of both limbs will be very stiff.

Yes but it is deflexed a lot in the handle area?

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »
Yes, very deflexed in the handle. Here is the full draw finally, and I agree to though, a touch to stiff in the tips.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »
i would probably scrape the outer limbs and get them working a tad more. but what do i know about tillering?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 03:21:05 am »
Was out walking the dogs along the river tonight and came across a pipe-straight beaver-cut stave that was at least 60" and 5" diameter.  I would have picked it up, but I'm pretty sure it would have been poplar.

Made me smile to myself and think of you though  ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 03:46:42 am »
 :laugh: Go get it anyway. Poplar is a hard wood and though I have no experience with it myself I have heard of it making a bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others