Author Topic: Cutting a splice by hand  (Read 3682 times)

Offline WillS

Cutting a splice by hand
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:24 am »
I don't have a band saw, and have just started approaching splices, as I have a load of b-yew-tiful billets to play with.  I tried cutting a splice with a hacksaw and a tenon saw, and now have one less b-yew-tiful billet to play with.  D'oh!  The cuts went all over the place, wobbling about and curving despite looking great from on top.  A common issue with a hacksaw I know, but wasn't prepared for quite so much mangling.

Anybody got any tips for cutting neat splices by hand?

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Cutting a splice by hand
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:03:10 am »
It can be done....  But, I can not do it.  Have failed several times.

You will most likely need a good ( Sharp ) hand saw in order to have a chance at succeeding.
That old practice makes perfect thing works.  Maybe that ruined b-yew-tiful billet could be practiced on.

I have often wandered if a finger joint sawed out on a table saw would work.  Cant see why it would not.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:06 am »
A sharp,wide saw like a Japanese back saw should work. They are relatively inxpensive at most hardware stores. Or maybe a rip cut handsaw.
Like David said practice first on a scrap of lumber until you get it right. Be sure yur work piece is secured well so it doesn't move while you saw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:09:43 am »
If you cut a bad fitting splice, heat the cut ends really hot with a heat gun, fit them together and clamp very tightly and let them cool, they will conform to each other to make a pretty good fit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
I'd forgotten about that method, Eric. It works well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:44 am »
Cheers folks.  I had heard about the heating method (although I heard boiling works exceptionally well with yew) but my issue is that the cuts went right into the fork that merges with the other limb if that makes sense.  Ended up with a very weak piece of wood as compared to just a dodgy fit.  Will bear the heating tip in mind though. 

I hate to give up on something, but I think it's time to find somebody with a bandsaw...

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:13 am »
Im acctually heading down to del's place tommorow (hopefully) and he agreed to teach me how to rough out and splice billits. if we don't use a bandsaw ill get back to you on how we did it :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:07 pm »
I am also trying to learn to do splices by hand. My best success is with the setup pictured below. The clamp is a saw guide- the paper glued to it prevents the saw teeth from contacting the clamp. the clamp has to be repositioned as the cut gets deeper.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »
That looks ace.  What type of saw is pictured?

Offline aaron

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »
it's called a pull saw, or a japanese saw. easy to find in hardware stores
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:24 pm »
awsome jig!
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline dbb

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »
I have handspliced two bows with no problems.
As said above the key is good precise cuts, so a good saw is essential. I use a silky mini mini -2.
It is a short 5" very finetoothed and a bit stiffer than the usual japansaw.its also pretty cheap.
Beside a good saw you just need patience take your time and do the best you can.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:05 pm »
I was also thinking a japanese pull saw would help make a straight cut. I think they are also called door jamb saws.   Awesome setup to help guide the saw!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
+1 on the Japenese pull saw.  As with most things, not all are created equal, and you really do get what you pay for. (...more or less!)   ;D

Like that clamping technique in the picture btw...

OneBow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:11 pm »
I'll vouch again for the Japanese pull saw.  Got me a little one that was pretty inexpensive and it works very well!  Way more precise than any other saw I've used. 

I did a an ugly W splice a couple years ago and then boiled the splice and clamped it.  I still thought it looked like junk, but then when I epoxied it and let it dry then cleaned it up.  It looked pretty good!
1’—>1’