Author Topic: Cutting a splice by hand  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting a splice by hand
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:11 pm »
I bought an inexpensive(about $10 I think) Japanese back saw about 10 years ago from Lowe's I believe and it is still going strong today.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:10:18 pm »
Like you other guys, I use a Japanese pull saw. Works for me! I like your set-up Aaron, (using the clamp for a guide ), that should help to eliminate errant cuts. Thanks for sharing that with us! I will try that on a couple of yew billets that are in line to be my next bow.

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »
Great responses, cheers guys.  To those who use saws without jigs/guides, how do you go about the cut?  Do you clamp/hold the billet with the belly down & back up, so the billet is horizontal and cut looking straight down, or do you hold the billet vertical and cut so that you're looking along the length of the billet? 

I found that cutting with the billet horizontal messes up the most, but I am doing it without the correct tool it would seem.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »
you could reverse your hacksaw blade...
but that may or may not help ;)
Get a vice and use it. it will help more than you can possibly imagine.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"