Author Topic: Fun With a Warbow!  (Read 5579 times)

Offline adb

Fun With a Warbow!
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »
This past weekend, I was doing a warbow demo for a small group of medieval re-enactors. Besides doing the usual flight shooting with a mark set at 200 yards, I also had the opportunity to display some penetration ability.

I had a helm to shoot at, and an exterior metal door. The door was: metal, wood, foam core, wood, metal. I'm not sure what the metal gauge was on the door... probably 20 gauge maybe? I set these close... only 20 yards.
I was shooting my 100# tri-lam, with some heavy arrows (80 grams) with hand forged armor piercing heads. I got some of the target archers to shoot at the door... their arrows just bounced off. Mine? Complete head penetration. I had to use a ball-peen hammer to tap the arrow back out. I had complete penetratiuon on the helm as well... the head peeled back a hole like a banana, and penetrated to the shaft. Needless to say, everyone couldn't believe the power of the warbow!

Pictures speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:45:20 am by adb »

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Fun With a Warbow!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
everyone couldn't believe the power of the warbow!

Hear hear! lol Awesome. Honesty to god, I always think about making some fire arrows and blowing something up. Like a non-working cheapo beater van for sale for cheap on craigslist or something. But then, there go your arrows. Maybe you could save the heads if they were good heads, but they are so thin metal I would think they would be destroyed. Plus, where are you gonna find a place to do that without going to jail?  ;D ... But man oh man, can't you just imagine knocking a couple cold beers back, lighting up a couple feathered torches, and just going to town? I think about this too much I believe...  >:D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
That's pretty cool.  I do believe if there would have been some poor soul wearing that helmet, he would have left with a headache  >:D

I'd be afraid of doing a test like that, simply because of the risk of losing one of those heavy arrows!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:04 am »
I like the door shot, especially the bit about the target archers bouncing their girlie arrows off it >:D
I know you couldn't really do this for safety reasons, but it would have been fun to get two target archers to hold the door up for you to shoot at!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
Knock-knock.....

Don't need ask "who's there", its clearly adb, cos I can see his long type 10 forged bodkin heads poking through the back of my front door....Eek! LOL  :laugh:
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline llkinak

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:48:31 pm »
Hi, ADB
For your tests, what did you have the helmet mounted on, and did you have many deflections?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »
Yes, lots of deflections. Initially, it was just sitting on a bench, and the force of the arrow strike would just knock it off. We finally wised up, and propped it against a post, and with a plumb hit, I got penetration.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:41:32 pm »
Maybe you should try and find one of those hat shop foam heads for next time. or a water balloon..?  I like the steel door target idea too.
I'll bet that was a very cool demo and it certainly made your point about the power of the warbow..