Author Topic: Hi everyone.  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
Hi everyone.
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
Hi everyone.
Ive just joined this forum, although I know a few of you from other forums. Del, Wills etc.

So Ive just worked my way upto being able to shoot my 120lb warbow, now thinking 140. Does anyone have any rough dimensions for starting out.
I had some fun shooting a steel tray with some cheapo bodkins from Merlin archery, The arrow itself is only a POC shaft, it snapped after about 7 shots. A heavier arrow would have had a much better penetration I think Got two good pics but cant seem to download them.....

Cheers
Matt

Offline WillS

Re: Hi everyone.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:21:32 am »
Finally! Welcome.  Now join the EWBS and you'll be all set ;)

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:39:27 am »
In regards to dimensions, are you using yew or laminations?  Makes a big difference.

If yew, for something over 120# just go with standard Mary rose dimensions.  Each bow will come out differently of course, you can only get so far using numbers at which point you have to let the stave speak to you and dictate your next move.

Basically speaking, your handle width is 41mm and depth is 38, with a front taper almost invisible to midlimb (usually 1/8" under handle width at midlimb) then a more obvious taper towards the tip (imagine the tip is 22m wide and taper from midlimb to the tip) then 6 inches from the tip itself you finish with a hard taper to 12mm tips.  Thickness taper is straight and gradual from handle to tip.

This will give you a 140# warbow provided the yew is high quality.  Different yew, different weight of course.  These measurements are directly from the Mary rose, and a conversation I had with Steve Stratton recently.

For a laminated bow I have no idea, never tried. I assume smaller and thinner though.

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:30 am »
Hi Wills ;)
What about at the nocks? take it down to a standard 1/2 " then taper, or does it need to have bigger nocks?

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:58 pm »
It will be a tri-laminate. Hickory, lemon wood and something pretty in the middle.
I will try you dimensions Wills, if its too much I can always shave off the draw weight.....or just make another slightly slimmer one, (that will save me having to make the next one!).
180lbs here I come.......eventually

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »
The Mary Rose nocks are all 12mm more or less.  But don't go less than about 20mm until the bow is almost fully tillered and you're fitting final horn nocks.

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »
I've just thought, I've got Steve's dimensions for a laminated warbow somewhere, I'll dig them out and put them in here at some point.

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »
For hickory/ipe or boo/ipe or cumaru for belly. 76" 32-34mm/26-28mm in handle and 12-14mm tips. This should give 140#. Typical MR profile for laminate give over 140, maybe over 150. I have never worked with lemon wood for belly, so I do not know how it will behave at 140
G.
Best regards from Bulgaria - George