Author Topic: Teaser on quill burning(couple more pics)  (Read 3206 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Teaser on quill burning(couple more pics)
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:34 pm »
So I saw this in PA couple of years ago now. Don't remember the issue.  I think it was a piece written by a girl who's friend had been to this archery get-to-gether in Germany.  I may be all wrong, though.  :-[ Anyway I was looking at the pics and readin and so forth and reread and relooked and swa this tool in the pic being heated in the grill that was being used to heat arrow shafts.  Anyway I made one and played w/ it a few times, but really have been giving a try the past couple of arrows.  I am using a heat gun to heat the tool cuz it was conveniant and worked.  I started holdnin the clamp in my hand  but went to the vise for more support.  Once the tool is hot it only takes a pass to press it flat.  It may be a little wide, but I use it or trim it a bit.  I'm still workin out the details, but it seems real quick and easy.  here are some pics.  Maybe more later if y'alls intrested.  shrug, dpg

pic one, vice with feather clamp in it and tool in heat gun.

pic two, feather after running hot tool over it.  Like I said, still working out the details, but I like it so far.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:44:31 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowtarist

Re: Teaser on quill burning
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:56 pm »
One more pic. I know they arn't great, but do ya get the idea?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:20 pm »
What is the tool made from Derik, is it a rounded steel rod ?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »
I really liked that tool when you showed it to me. Top craftsmanship for sure. If you think about it bring it to Scottsburg and give us a demo :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »
So here are a couple more pics of the tool.  The tool and the feather clamp...sounds painful.

Yeah BB, I got hillbilly with a 3/4" or 1" round stock and a horizontal band saw runnin down really slow and made that tool.  I've used a a propane torch an acetylene torch and a heat gun to heat it up, the wood stove didn't get it hot enough, but it's supposed to be used on a grill or the such.  I think you can hang it from that "S" bend.  The heat gun worked the best, but I don't like the energy use.  The clamp is to hold the feather and only expose the split quill.  If the tool is not hot enough it will stick to the quill, no good.  Too hot, don't know for sure, but I can see no good again.  Eh, gonna take mystuff campin this weekend, try it around a fire. Friday my buddie and the four boys are staking out a camp site then Saturday the cub scouts are comin.  ;) have a gooder, dpg

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Teaser on quill burning(couple more pics)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:23:48 pm »
  Perty cool I guess but if you pull (strip) the quil apart by hand you have the samething. Ready to put on. With out all the hassle. Your aready splitting the quil before you heat it up anyways. 
  RIGHT
 I just can see any advange in doing it your way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:51:09 am »
I've been told that this is a Japanese technique. It seals the quill from moister.  I strip sometimes,  :o. Sometimes split, this is just an alternative to grinding. I don't use it solely, just sometimes. dp

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:39 am »
  I totally understand. I try different things all the time. Just see how it works or how it works.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Salvador 06

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »
Does is stink as bad as burning the feather? 
Proudly subscribed to this magazine since 1994

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:20:52 am »
I guess it probably does, but I don't mind it if done outside.  Kinda reminds me of when my Mom took me w/ her to the beauty parlor back when I was a kid.  ;D ;D dp

Offline Southpaw4

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »
Really neat quill burner, I read in jaap koppedreyers book making bamboo arrows, that japanese Fletcher's use the tool and that one reason they do is it stiffens the feathers a bit. Haven't tried it so don't know how much. Either way it looks great