Author Topic: Want broadheads or trade points, have staves to trade  (Read 3413 times)

Offline k-hat

Want broadheads or trade points, have staves to trade
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:23 am »
Tryna lower my start-up costs for this hunting season, so i figured i'd see what's out there.  I'd like some 145-160ish grain broadheads (glue-on), but I'm open to trade points (though i've never used them).

I have some seasoned cedar elm (bark on, some character), and some cedar elm cut/quartered about a month ago that is very straight and clean.  I'll part with more than one if necessary.  Also have seasoned osage billets available. 

Thanks guys.

Offline adb

Re: Want broadheads or trade points, have staves to trade
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:56:39 am »
What is cedar elm?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:39:43 am »
Ulmus crassifolia, also known by "southern rock elm".  I've made several from it, it makes an awesome bow.  Some of the stuff i just cut has a lot of red heartwood.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41669.msg557513.html#msg557513

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:46 am »
Aka red elm?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
Probably red elm.  Doesn't look like the cedar elm we have in my part of Texas.    :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:12 am »
I think they're all pretty close.  I distinctly smelled a cedar aroma when i split it, that's usually the tell-tale.  But the term "cedar elm" is also more of a local name so i'm sure there's plenty of variation.  All that REALLY matters is that it's ELM ;D

Maybe if we keep discussing it it'll stay at the top and somebody with what i'm looking for will notice ;) ::)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:37:51 am »
pm sent
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:27:14 am »
I have one burlington chert nice arrow head and about eight glass a few green and a few brown.  I would also send a leg tendo. To fasten them on.    Think about it and if your interested let me know.  I am in florida and have never worked elm
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:32:52 am »
I think i have one or two store bought broad heads as well.  Along with the few knapped points .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:16 am »
I's be looking at the osage billets. I'll check my BH's and see what I have. I think I have some old grizzly's, tuskers, and some trade points in that weight range if you're interested.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:46 am »
Thanks guys.  Think i have what i need for the moment now (pearlie hooked me up), but Fred if you do want some osage billets then we can surely work something out.  I'm sure i could always use more broadheads/points.  Rockrush same to you for some elm (you'll love it once you try it! just be sure and temper and keep it dry).  I've got more than i can work on at the moment (may not get to the billets at all, not super excited about splicing right now).

I'm open to other things as well for trade (shafts, feathers, skins, overlay material, bowstrings, etc).  Strings have been giving me fits lately, guess i don't make them enough!

Pm me with pics of what ya got if you want, i'll try to get some more pics of my stave stash posted this weekend.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:51:11 am »
k-hat where do you live? I am actually looking for some matched orange billets. I'm trying to find a bunch of them to glue up before my urac becomes outdated.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:40:46 am »
I'm in northcentral Texas, about an hour north of Big D.  I'll get some pics of the billets and post'm this weekend.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 01:04:49 am »
After looking again, these are the best i have.  They are seasoned and ready to work. 

The top one in the pic is actually a half that needs split to make sisters, should be plenty of wood there.  The other two below are sisters, a touch of character that can easily be heated out.  They do have a bit of crown.  They are all about 38" long.

This is one end of the top one.  There is a pin knot right there where i cut it, but it's not going to affect anything, probly the tip and and will be cut off.