Author Topic: Mary Rose Museum 2  (Read 18208 times)

Offline adb

Mary Rose Museum 2
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:45:37 pm »
Some more pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: Mary Rose Museum 2
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:35:07 pm »
That bow tip with the horn nock beside it almost looks like it had cut in nocks
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:27 pm »
That horn nock is most probably the wrong type. All the bows have one or two sidenocks, on the left side of the bow tips (while seen from the belly with the tip pointing upwards). Before the one and only horn nock was found and identified, the notches in the wood was seen as tillering-nocks, while they today are interpreted as a remain for the sidenock that was cut through the horn.

Perhaps like this:

http://kviljo.no/bue/115/7.jpg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:33 pm »
Neat stuff thanks for posting the pictures.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:28:27 pm »
Hi,
While at the museum, I of course spoke with staff who were knowlegable regarding the longbows. It is their interpretation that the bows were tillered first, and the nocks were added at the end, so the notches cut into the wood were from tillering the bows first. The entire tip is discolored a lighter color, which would indicate that the horn nocks were not cut through. The picture of the bow tip with the nock beside it actually shows some decay. The horn nock on display is obviously modern, and was made by longbowyer Chris Boyton. Every bowyer I've spoken with who makes horn nocks, does not cut through the horn. Two reasons: it weakens the nock, and defeats the purpose of the horn nock, which is to provide a harder material for softer woods, like yew. If you cut through the nock, the string will wear on the wood.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:34:58 pm by adb3112 »

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:56:49 pm »
That's the old interpretation :)

Check out "Secrets of the English Warbow" by Hugh Soar (2006). There's a picture of the horn nock, and a description of how the nock were cut through the horn and into the wood. But only on the side, leaving the horn in it's full thickness on the back, which probably makes it even stronger than the regular victorian type.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 10:14:49 pm »
    this is realy cool.I'd like to visit that museum.Thanks for sharing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Loki

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:47:57 am »
A bit of topic but  did you go on the Warrior when you were down there adb3112?
What a fine boat,she was restored in my hometown,when i was a kid i used to fish for big fat eater crabs off the Gunwhales  ;D,happy times....

HMS Warrior,the world's first Iron hulled Ocean going WarShip!
Durham,England

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:19:53 am »
Hey, Loki
Yes, we did. It was within spitting distance from the museum. The museum is just off the dock where the Warrior is located. Interesting ship.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:57:43 pm »
Check out "Secrets of the English Warbow" by Hugh Soar (2006). There's a picture of the horn nock, and a description of how the nock were cut through the horn and into the wood. But only on the side, leaving the horn in it's full thickness on the back, which probably makes it even stronger than the regular victorian type.

Its a shame they dont seem to have updated the museum exhibits :-(
It was around 10 years ago that a horn nock from the Mary Rose was found but the exhibit photographed states no horn nocks were found

On the Mary Rose web site it shows the horn nock which was recovered but then shows a Victorian nock next to it as a supposed reproduction but the recovered nock is clearly a side nock ????
http://www.maryrose.org/ship/bows1.htm
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:21:38 am by alanesq »

tasso

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 06:15:17 pm »
adb3112,
I would like to point out I didn't make the out of place reproduction horn nock featured in the MR exhibit.
My article in one of the back issues of the Glade Magazine, shows how  side nocks work, and  the bow I featured in the article had a  draw weight of 124 pounds, and to date shows no signs of stress from use.
Chris Boyton, Bowmaker, not Longbowyer.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 07:29:27 pm »
tasso, I would love to see that article as I have been putting side nocks on my bows recently but its a lot of guess work on my part as all I am going on is a few dodgy pictures (and advice from Kviljo)
I am using them on a 115lb bow and plan to us them on my 135lb bow in the near future (should I manage to make it ;-)

Kviljo and myself are the only ones who seem to be using them though (and yourself of course)
I want to try and get more people interested in giving them a try
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 07:31:25 pm by alanesq »

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »
Great having you here Chris!

Did you have a good picture or drawing of the one MR-nock in the article, or perhaps know of any? As Alan says, the pictures avaliable on the net and in recent books are not too clear. It would be nice having even better sources to go on when making these nocks.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »
Glad your here chris. Marlon