Author Topic: Quivers  (Read 21679 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Quivers
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 12:03:32 am »
Nothing wrong with that.  Nice Quiver and nice arrows.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 02:17:52 am »
Here is what I am using.  I didn't make it, its a JW Classic.  Ostich trim.  I plan to make one as soon as I get my first skin with a self bow.  I think I'll try a hip quiver though, because I am either not adjusting this one correctly or I am not limber enough - I am having a tough time reaching the arrows...

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 02:18:58 am »
Hmm... Maybe it's because I'm seeing double...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

whatareyadoin

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 03:45:13 am »
Here is what I am using.  I didn't make it, its a JW Classic.  Ostich trim.  I plan to make one as soon as I get my first skin with a self bow.  I think I'll try a hip quiver though, because I am either not adjusting this one correctly or I am not limber enough - I am having a tough time reaching the arrows...

Keith

top notch stuff there.

whatareyadoin

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 03:46:14 am »
All of your quivers look so great I am ashamed to show mine.  Ah, what the heck.

I am working on a cat quiver pattern that I roaged off the internet, but I am going to cover
it with leather and do some tooloing.
variety is good, great work

whatareyadoin

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 03:48:51 am »
This is the first forum that I have really been impressed by you all.
Is christmas over yet

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 02:13:47 am »
I made this one last summer (2006).  It is my favorite so far.  I think my next project will be to experiment with different quiver styles.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

whatareyadoin

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 02:00:08 pm »
I made this one last summer (2006).  It is my favorite so far.  I think my next project will be to experiment with different quiver styles.

Hey Northern Archer, Thats Not to shabby,Looks good.Impressed by all of them.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 08:32:39 am »
Northern archer I like your quiver! Do you have a pattern? Or let me know the how to? Thanks,Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

a finnish native

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 10:19:50 am »
I use the same one as Bob. less hair on mine though.. ;D

Harrifer

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 12:38:51 pm »
What does everyone think of the idea of a burlap/jute/hessian/the stuff sand bags are made of quiver with leather and fur trim?

Just a project I was thinking of, the material would be doubled over preferably, and id hope to use rabbit fur (OBVIOUSLY shot with air rifle, bowhunting is illegal in the UK ;) ) around the top, and some thin leather stitched over the bottom. Strap would probably be sone string plaited into a cord.

I'm not following native american/medieval ideas, I'm just doing my own thing here and going with what is functional and attractive.

Love to show you a picture of my current quiver, but my camera isn't with me at the moment. It's dark brown goatskin, and the top is made of a thicker tan leather, which is still not thick enough to stand by itself, i bought them both off ebay. to keep the top open, I bent a piece of green maple into a circle, tied it with wire, then untied it when it was dry, and stitched the tan leather around it. The strap is made of plaited cord as described in the second paragraph, and by means of moving a knot it is adjustable. It is that soft white string that you seem to be able to buy everywhere, at least in the UK. It's a nice quver, but it's not very big, 6 arrows is the realistic limit.

PS anyone know a good source of cheap, thick leather? Shooting deer isn't pheasable in my current situation, I was thinking more like calfskin.

whatareyadoin

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 11:31:25 pm »
What does everyone think of the idea of a burlap/jute/hessian/the stuff sand bags are made of quiver with leather and fur trim?

Just a project I was thinking of, the material would be doubled over preferably, and id hope to use rabbit fur (OBVIOUSLY shot with air rifle, bowhunting is illegal in the UK ;) ) around the top, and some thin leather stitched over the bottom. Strap would probably be sone string plaited into a cord.

I'm not following native american/medieval ideas, I'm just doing my own thing here and going with what is functional and attractive.

Love to show you a picture of my current quiver, but my camera isn't with me at the moment. It's dark brown goatskin, and the top is made of a thicker tan leather, which is still not thick enough to stand by itself, i bought them both off ebay. to keep the top open, I bent a piece of green maple into a circle, tied it with wire, then untied it when it was dry, and stitched the tan leather around it. The strap is made of plaited cord as described in the second paragraph, and by means of moving a knot it is adjustable. It is that soft white string that you seem to be able to buy everywhere, at least in the UK. It's a nice quver, but it's not very big, 6 arrows is the realistic limit.

PS anyone know a good source of cheap, thick leather? Shooting deer isn't pheasable in my current situation, I was thinking more like calfskin.
Sound good to me

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 11:37:45 am »

this is a christmas present for my nephew; i have a build-along posted how i made it:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3005.msg62556.html#new

merry christmas, frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

duffontap

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 03:05:49 pm »
Beautiful work everyone.  I'm inspired.

J. D.

whatareyadoin

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2007, 04:19:06 am »

this is a christmas present for my nephew; i have a build-along posted how i made it:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3005.msg62556.html#new

merry christmas, frank
those almost look like black bird feathers,i saw in souther california.
I am totaly inspired to send more gifts.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:20:48 am by whatareyadoin »