Author Topic: looking for tipi village in america to join ... any legal ones out there ?  (Read 34468 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: looking for tipi village in america to join ... any legal ones out there ?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:21 am »
I really appreciate this thread.  My wife and I have cut tipi poles and we plan on liven in it at least most of the year at some point.  Comfort is a thing that we relish and need nowadays because we have it.  Like building a bad ass plywood form for a recurve….in my ancestors' days they would have just known how to bend it over their knee but nowadays I see so many more precise, reliable ways to do things without having to be absolutely knowledgeable.  Unless primitive archer is my Facebook and I just stalk sweet bows all day, which I do, so I appreciate the sweet nectar of knowledge I have gained from all on here.  We are a tribe, people of all walks of life, if put in extraordinary situations due to natural disaster.  Just hope I could find Bryce, Carson, Blackhawk, Half Eye, Gordon, Pat M, Gun Doc, and to many others to mention!  I hope you find your way Jesse, just cause it is impossible don't mean it can't happen. :)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 05:21:14 am »
And george of course

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 10:24:53 am »
This was a great thread to read. Like many of you, I considered living like this at one time (in my 20's). I am happy with my lot in life now, and do not regret my choice to live with all of the modern amenities. I have a few acres in north central Texas, and I can camp out when ever and for however long I wish. If I had spent 50K like Twisted, with nothing to show for it, I would not own my own place now. I do the primitive camps like JW, and I agree with what is saying about completely. We camp a couple of weeks, get a small dose of the experience and then get to go home and relive the "fun" for years to come. As for the insulating properties of the liner, don't delude yourself. In winter, it is warm when you have a fire, and cold when the fire goes out. I've also done the "stuffing grass between the liner and cover" routine.  SLIMBOB will verify the fact that only marginally affects the temperature. We stuffed with hay one year. It kept the wind out, but that was about it. Your warmth goes out the top of the tipi. And the business of using the liner to keep it cooler in the summer is a bunch of bunk too. I don't know how many times I've heard  "using the liner makes it about 15 degrees cooler in the tipi". It doesn't do anything of the sort. If it is 100 degrees in the shade, it is 100 degrees inside the tipi as well. The fact that it does offer shade is a plus, only in an area without trees. If there are trees about, sitting beneath them is a better deal,,,,,,,, more chance of breeze!  Curtis

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 11:17:21 am »
Yep.  Temperature down in the teens, or maybe single digits with sleet falling.  We stuffed the liner with hay as best we could and kept a mountain of wood handy.  Daytime was pleasant, as we just bundled up and kept the fire going.  Worked on bows and strings and other projects to keep busy.  Nighttime was a whole nuther story.  Whoever woke up first as the fire was dying was to add wood.  But the instant the flames died out the temperature bottomed out, so we both kept the fire going all night every night.  Our drinking water stored in the tipi was frozen solid every morning.  That trip was as memorable as any I've ever been on and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but it's far to easy to over romanticize all this.  Living this way full time would be a hard scrabble existence to say the very least.  Curt and I have stayed in his tipi all over the country and it's always a blast, for a week or two at most.  Then I want a hot shower, hot meal and a warm soft bed.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 01:34:42 am »
Living in a campsite by myself for a while was a good experience for me.  It helped me "heal" from many of the sicknesses of living in society.  But I couldn't have done it without the umbilical cord of electricity, steady income, and hot water.  And raising the kids in camp?  No way.  I kept my camp very clean a free of anything I didn't need, which was basically anything that wouldn't fit in my tent.  I couldn't do that with my family living with me.

I was forced to live off the grid because of work (remote jobs) and the fact that I couldn't afford to live in a hotel.  I know I could live that way forever but it's lonely.  I wouldn't do it unless I had to.  Eventually I hope to live on a small farm and eat fresh, homegrown food every day.  That's my dream.   :)

Good dream Patrick. Great dream to aspire to.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »
 ;D

Let me add that I would like to have LOTS of trees on my farm.  I get a little twitchy if I can't get fresh bow/arrow wood.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 10:46:59 pm »
Well, out on the Navajo Nation, people can live in hogans if they want to. Usually, it's just very traditional people who do. Even the smaller towns on the Rez have electricity and so on. I can tell you that the water in Many Farms isn't so great. But the thing about a Hogan is, it stays warm provided you have firewood. But the toilet is an outhouse and the bathing done in a basin. Not a lot of people opt for this even though they can if they want to. Mostly hogans are used for ceremonies, but some people will live in them as a temporary thing until they can find something else.

In other words, on the Rez, people could live in such dwellings but not many choose to. Many people like electricity and running water, even if they mostly rely on a woodstove for heat.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:20:44 pm »
Hey, good thread! My family and I just left Tipi Village, in Southern Oregon, after a year of living there. We left to come visit family in Missouri for a bit and are pitching our lodge here for the winter until we can afford the drive back to Oregon. I can say that it was a fantastic village, without any "on the run thieves" or anything of the sort. People just love scaring people away from the wilderness, mostly cause people are scared of the wilderness themselves. That is probably because most folk think they can do it all alone like some wonder cowboy, but the truth is, WE NEED COMMUNITY. It is as necessary to the human animal as water , air and fire. That said, I hope you made it out to the village, and I just wish we would have been there when you arrived to welcome you. Perhaps you will be there when we return! If you want to read a bit I have written about the village, I have two posts title Tipi Living- on this site. Be well and aim true.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Mickey

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
I have been on some extended primitive bowhunts in Montana and Alaska and two things I learned was the guy that invented the hot shower was the smartest man on earth right behind the guys that invented fast food, furnaces (camp fires are romantic but a PIA to keep going and you always smell like smoke) and water filters pumps. I got so tired of working from  sun up to sun down, not seeing or not being able to get close enough to game to get myself meat.... much less being able to get fresh vegetables, or fruit. I got tired of being cold and dirty an it amazed me how much water it takes just to exist. It also takes a lot of energy just to exist. Pert near gave up on keeping my hands clean, and brushing my teeth and changing out of my dirty clothes even...and leaves are NOT a good substitute for toilet paper. And Lord help you if you need a doctor or dentist.

Some people say they were born 100 years too late .. not me .. I'd rather enjoy todays amenities (and pressures to tell you the truth) and just VISIT 100 years ago from time to time... for a couple weeks max..

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:57 pm »
We had hot showers daily, twenty miles into the wilderness! There was a mountain spring uphill from the village about 350 feet that a spring box was built to allow water to collect and spill over enough to maintain a natural flow. The box was bored out in the bottom and spigot attached which led out into a hose. At about 25 feet above the garden, it split into three hoses, one of which was black. The black hose ran for about a hundred feet and sat on the grass in the sun. 90 degree showers for 15 minutes at a time every hour!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:54 pm »
I remained in camp, because of the equipment and such that was still there.  The rest pulled for home in front of the coming storm, taking all of the vehicles with them.  They promised to be back in a couple of days.
I stoked the stove and slipped into my sleeping bag near by.  A small insect bit me on my left side.  I simply swatted the bug, and brushed it out of my bag.   Next morning, it was a little red spot that itched. 
That night a storm began that ended up laying down 6 inches of ice, took out a large part of the area power, and pretty much stopped everything in its tracks out in the world.  That morning it started to swell for real.  Over the next four days, I tried all of the self remedies, but the knot kept getting bigger, and I kept getting sicker. 
By the time I realized how how much trouble I was in, I was no longer was capable of walking out on my own, due to the conditions.  I was having fever dreams when they came back to get me and the rest of the gear on the fifth day after I was bitten.  I took a shower, and went directly to the hospital, but could not be seen.  The ice had the emergency room overflowing and the wait to be seen was over 15 hours.   One of the Med-Stop type clinics pumped me full of antibiotics, and they sent me home. 
The scar is a trophy today, where they had to cut the whole area away, but it also carries a hard lesson.  Alone, I would likely have died from such a simple little incident. 
Comfort is not all that the modern world has to offer. 

Offline wazabodark

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:38:08 pm »
but as i drive through my city i cant help but be disgusted with how badly over populated it is and how much of an a hole most people are ... i just want a pure life for me and my kids and i would rather work my butt off and keep thwm pure and free of the negativity . Then live in this melting pot of thugs and gangster wanna be s shooting eachother and begging for money . S.w. florida has a pill epidemic going on bad . And everyone here is a junky . I have even fell into it a few times with a hard hard recovery . And i need an escape.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"-Ghandi. Before you take off ask yourself if you're going to Oregon or running from Florida. The answer to that question makes all the difference. I felt like I needed to say that. You remind me of someone.... now let's talk about killing things with bows and eating them and wearing their fur and stuff!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 01:55:11 am »
Twisted limbs could you post pics of your cabin?
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:46 am »
Heres a thread from another site,that Ryan posted pics of his cabin.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=220804&category=88#2935309

Offline Traxx

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 04:55:38 am »
You know,i guess its what your willing to tolerate.I grew up this way and we never thought it was that tough or so bad.
But....
Now that i have been spoiled by "Civilization"im not sure if i could live this way completely or not.