Author Topic: please read this article . i ask nothing more of you  (Read 25881 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: please read this article . i ask nothing more of you
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »
HAHAHA It says "Tickets are $3 or 3 for $10."  3 times 3 equals $9.  Why would anyone pay a dollar more to get three tickets.  Usually you save money by buying more.  These people must not be the brightest crayons in the box.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:05:02 pm »
HAHAHA It says "Tickets are $3 or 3 for $10."  3 times 3 equals $9.  Why would anyone pay a dollar more to get three tickets.  Usually you save money by buying more.  These people must not be the brightest crayons in the box.

Well Cherokee...I'll agree with you that its not a very bright thing to do.  But not quite for the reason your thinkin.  You see they know full well what that says and how it adds up.  They are counting on everybody else being too stupid to notice.  When your in a tight spot and really need peoples generosity, insulting those very same people's intelligence is sure to back fire.  So yep, not the brightest thing to do.  I wonder what the ratio is for people who don't notice and give the extra $ to those who do notice and don't buy any tickets.  I'm guessing it's not in these folks favor.   Josh
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:08:28 am by Gun Doc »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:55 am »
Nice  ;).. Josh what's the gist of the article??

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 05:05:16 pm »
Yeh I hear ya Gun Doc.  I thought it was hilarious. 
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:42 pm »
I couldn't make much from the blog part, but the "home" and "vision" tabs more or less told me what this all referenced.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:51:39 am »
I can somewhat dig what they're saying, but I've seen this before. This is another attempt at the hippie commune which works well in theory, but not well when it comes to the fact that the structures they're living in were the traditional dwellings of people who were not vegetarians, but nomadic hunters. Who, by the way, developed those dwellings so they could carry them with them while they followed the herds of buffalo that were their almost exclusive food source. The tipis themselves were not canvas, but buffalo hide. Those folks were not farmers. They didn't "own" the land per se, but they would defend their hunting grounds as Custer discovered much to his chagrin. They were not pacifists, either. They had a very developed warrior society. If you're going to emulate a society, you have to take all of it into account. One problem was, the society in question had given up the idea farming a long time prior to be nomadic hunters and they weren't thrilled with the idea of being forced to return to it.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:16 pm »
Well said Dharma.  I would add that it appears to me the author considers "Capitalism" as the enemy of his pursuits.  I should think that you will find very few Tipi Villages in China, the Middle East or anywhere near the former USSR.  In the more agrarian societies around the planet people may live this way, but more as a result of the abject poverty that necessitates it, making a subsistent existence the best one can hope for.  I see our liberty here as the only protection that allows us the freedom to live this way as a matter of choice. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:18:55 am »
I'm still lost.. What's the article about?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »
I'm still lost.. What's the article about?

Cipriano

Mostly about how they dropped out, found land to squat on, and now the land is for sale and they can't afford to buy it without help.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:16 am »
Well, out on the Rez here, there are still people who live in hogans. They usually don't speak much English, either. They're very traditional. But usually, you see a hogan in the back of a trailer house or a frame house. They only use the hogan for ceremonies. Tipis are used here for NAC ceremonies sometimes. But there's not a lot of people who want to live in a hogan 24/7 if they don't have to.

Back to these folks, it's a romantic idea. But they don't understand the culture that went along with the dwelling. As I said, they weren't pacifists. You were expected to be a warrior and a hunter, period. They weren't vegetarians because farming was alien to them. If they grew anything at all, it was tobacco. But they mostly traded for that anyway from tribes that did farm. And the tribes that did farm, like my mother's people, had the resources to field what was basically a standing army. People like this don't seem to remember things like tomahawks---close quarters weapons. Those weren't for mashing turnips. And if you were on the land of another tribe, well, you might just be killed out of hand. If you were lucky. Everyone thinks tribes had no ownership of land. In theory, yes. But each tribe had lands they defended and considered their own. They just didn't think a tribe could sell land that was theirs to someone outside the tribe. There's a lot of romantic ideas attached to Native culture prior to European contact and a lot gets lost in the translation. But the fact is, you couldn't have just walked across the country unless you were a trader. Sooner or later, some tribe would have seen you and said, "Who's this dude that thinks he can walk across here?" Tribes weren't all sitting around singing songs together and having respectful discussions to settle differences. Just sayin'...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 04:02:39 am »
Well put dharma
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »
WOW! Way to go guys. I lived in Tipi Village, the village in question, and we are NOT vegetarians, squatters or communists. We hunt, we make bows, we all work very hard to make what little money we actually need to raise our families and you all are characterizing us as some idealistic bullshit group. It is sad. Tipi village has existed for 7 years and Tipi Valley, from which it was based, has existed as a NON-OWNED land based collective for over 25 years. So, you all really know very little, but could easily ask myself or any others that have actually been there. I am really not too impressed with the comments from the folks on this thread. I expected to see understanding and intelligent remarks, not banter based on ignorance and vitriol.

The three for ten dollar thing was a joke, by the way. It was meant to be humorous.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:41 am »
Also, Dharma, the village has no interest in emulating any past culture. While I have great reverence for indigenous cultures everywhere, and much for the various nomadic tribes and band societies of Turtle Island, the tipi itself is not solely an American Indian dwelling. Conical tents exist to this day in cultures all over the world, that do NOT live in abject poverty but have rich cultural rooting, such as the Sami peoples. Tipi Village is not a re-enactment village, but an opportunity to reconnect with living on the ground around fire. I am really saddened by these posts. After being on PA for over a year, I have always found the posts to be informative, and this is just plain old hurtful garbage.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 02:17:10 am »
Hey, look man, I said I agree with some of what you're saying. But I can also read your blog and what you say there. Haven't you judged society yourself, labelling it "materialistic" which is why you seek to distance yourself from it? You might not have tractors on your area, but you are alive because of them. Your parents bought food from the grocery store, I would imagine. I agree with some of what you say, but I also know that you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I applaud your experiment and if it works for you, that's great. But you are not the only one with the talking stick here and everyone else has as much right to state their opinions as you do.

As a person from one of those indigenous cultures, I'm also just pointing out that the first thing we wanted when the Europeans arrived was their technology, i.e. guns, metal tools, etc. It didn't work out so well for us, but hey, that's what happens.

Yes, the modern world has given us horrors. But it's also given us a lot of great things, too. Or can I assume if you get sick and need modern medicine you won't seek it? You don't truly exist outside the modern world as much as you would like to. You have modern medicine to fall back on, as well as assistance that wasn't available to the cultures those tipis originated in. You're in what's called the United States now because indigenous cultures lost that war.

I'm not saying you're communists, but much of what you say is in fact classical communism. Not Soviet type communism, but communism as proposed by others as a philosophy and an economic system. There's nothing wrong with that except the fact it negates human nature. Humans are, by nature, driven by acquisition. That was the whole basis of tribal warfare---we want what they've got. Or we want prestige or honor. Humanity is driven by this and are you not so as well? Are you not driven by the acquisition of this lifestyle and vision? This is what you want and, if you did not get it, would you be happy with less? Then also see that others might be just as happy living their lives as they see fit without it labelled as materialism. If everyone wanted to live in a tipi, every piece of the pristine land you love would be dotted with tipis and all the groundwater contaminated by a myriad of pit latrines. All the game hunted out. All the trees cut down for firewood. Just saying your vision works for you, but it isn't a viable solution for the planet.