Author Topic: Bow wood desert  (Read 7667 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Bow wood desert
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:23:10 pm »
Folks have listened to me whine about the lack of good bow wood around here and I think some have the opinion that I might be exaggerating...

Might be able to make something from the steel posts on the fenceline on the foreground, but those two Acer negundo (boxelder) that you see in the distance are twisted and gnarled beyond comprehension. 

Other than that, I have determined that bamboo is a grass, cows eat grass, wet cowpies can be molded, epoxy can be thinned and mixed in, thus I may be forced to making PooBoo* bows if I can't find some osage!   :-[  Yup. Sucks to be me. 

*Application for trademark pending.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

Re: Bow wood desert
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »
Too bad ya want osage.
rich

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:47:02 pm »
JW,
Going to be hunting south of New Castle Wy. I would be more than happy to bring you some. Not for sure your schedule or distance from there. I,m sure well be eating in the diner in NewCastle (cant remember the name but its the one with all the mounts) a couple of nights at least. Just PM me, or email.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »
Time to start planting johnny appleseed!!  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »
JW,
Going to be hunting south of New Castle Wy. I would be more than happy to bring you some. Not for sure your schedule or distance from there. I,m sure well be eating in the diner in NewCastle (cant remember the name but its the one with all the mounts) a couple of nights at least. Just PM me, or email.
Knapper

I posted this photo as a kind of laugh, but also to show people just how wide open this area is surrounding the Black Hills (anyone ever make a bow from Ponderosa Pine? Yeah, that is what I thought.)  I looked into planting osage up here, but it is too cold and dry for them. 

Let me know when you are coming thru, Knapper.  I'd love to chew the fat with you!  Newcastle is about an hour and a half away from me.  Whatcha hunting?

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
ya shoudla raided pappys shed or my van,or clints truck,or pearlys,or........back in may at the classic...we prob wouldn't of even noticed we had any go missing...and even if we did,we prob wouldn't care...lol  :laugh:  ;)  8)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:09 pm »
*smacks forehead HARD*

>:(

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:01:46 am »
Live and learn JW,, live and learn   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:01 am »
JW   It reminds me of the post I made after a trip back home to NE last year.  There's a reason why I never got around to making a bow when I was a kid.   
Ron

Around the Campfire / Re: Can you see any good bow wood? Lotsa pics
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:30 am »
JW send me your address. I hate to see a man so desperately in need. And since I know you like pictures more than descriptions I'll even post a photo . We'll just call it a marker ;D ;D ; Sh## I might even pay the shipping for a marker from you. My Dad always said, trust your instincts, and  I do!!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:12:41 am »
Yes,living 20 miles from the SD border 45 years of my life I've seen most all of SD.You had all the opportunity in the world to stop by on your way back from the classic and pick up some primo hickory staves but did'nt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:43 am »
Blimey JW, I got hypnotised by that picture and once I snapped out of it I had go hide in a corner huddled up and shivering.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:58 am »
Well.....guess I'll be seeing you again next may  ;D and I'll make sure to bring a extra few for you to "steal"  :laugh:

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:15:04 am »
We'll be chasing speed goats and mulies, but really I can throw some in the truck. Also have hickory and elm.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline skarhand

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 10:37:14 am »
With that much open space, you should be building siege weapons not bows. :)

Hmm...has anyone ever build an osage trebuchet?