Author Topic: Bow wood desert  (Read 7666 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: Bow wood desert
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »
I feel your pain jw!we live in simular deserts;(!but man does the poplar grow pipe straight around here!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 02:20:27 pm »
I live in an osage desert myself. Thank God for super, great, mega wonderful friends like Clint, Chris, Scott, Pauly and my buddy Joe in Indiana, they keep me flush with yellow sticks and I appreciate more than they know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »
I have been looking high and low in my neck of the woods for something tradable for some of that fabled yellow wood. In fact I have been thinking of dropping the kids off in the forest with empty pillowcases and a sack of bread crumbs on my way to work and see what they can come up with by the time I'm done.  >:D

I said TURKEY FEATHERS....not leaves!!!! Back into the forest!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
What state are you in skarhand?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
What state are you in skarhand?

Northern PA, about 3 miles from New York. I actually work with a guy who has 12 turkeys headed for the axe later this year. He said I could have all the feathers I want, so I am excited. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 08:07:44 pm »
 >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Barrage

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:27 pm »
That looks sort of like where I grew up.  Except for all the trees you have there.  >:D
Travis

Offline Poggins

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:42:39 am »
Hey JW , do you ever travel south towards Oklahoma or Texas ? If you find yourself down in Oklahoma I'll set you up with a variety of wood ( yes yellow wood to ) , I can come up with some percimon , lots of elm , postoak , pecan , maybe some black locust and hickory just to name a few ( I have a stihl chainsaw and new chains ready ).

Offline Holten101

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 03:19:33 am »
Auch...makes me appreciate the abundance of bow wood in my backyard....even if Osage is out of the question in my parts of the world:-)

As long as I have wych elm im a happy, happy camper;-)

Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:29:26 am »
Beautiful to look at and visit,but like Del,makes me shiver to think I had to live there. ;) No Osage on my farm either but I am blessed with just about any other kind of wood a man would want. JW you need to have John come in a bigger truck
in May.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 4dog

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:16 am »
Well my only prob is ,, what wood am i gonna use,, workin elm and buckthorn now,, till i started  carving bows i didnt know what was what..now ..everything has potential,, i feel bad for yall.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »
Beautiful to look at and visit,but like Del,makes me shiver to think I had to live there. ;) No Osage on my farm either but I am blessed with just about any other kind of wood a man would want. JW you need to have John come in a bigger truck
in May.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy

Folks from your area that find themselves up here often find themselves suffering acute agoraphobia.  Some describe the feeling of "fear of falling off the planet".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 11:05:04 am »
C'mon JW just because we don't have any yellow wood don't necessarily make us a desert.  I love working on some white ash when I get an opportunity.  But if you're that hard up for some I live a little more than an hour from you. Perhaps we can trade

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 09:57:16 pm »
C'mon JW just because we don't have any yellow wood don't necessarily make us a desert.  I love working on some white ash when I get an opportunity.  But if you're that hard up for some I live a little more than an hour from you. Perhaps we can trade

White ash?  Are you sure of your species?  I've only seen green ash out here.  And other than my first bow, all subsequent attempts with green ash have come up with sluggish shooters. 

Now I know you have been to Rapid City in the last few months, but did you call me?  Noooo!  Of course, I was down by Martin this summer and I didn't exactly call you either. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »
I stand corrected green ash.  There you happy?  Ill give you a jingle