Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER heavy bow  (Read 8920 times)

Offline richpierce

Re: Yet ANOTHER heavy bow
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 12:26:28 pm »
Kegan, how do you begin to floor tiller these heavy bows? Does it take a lot of experience to know when it's time to take it to the tillering board?  I have never made a "D" bow but want to try for a 60-65 pound hickory (that would be heavy for me) at 27" of pull .  Do you have suggestions for dimensions and shape of the cross sections of the limbs?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 12:50:57 pm »
Be sure to learn how to shoot this weapon left handed to keep your spine equally torqued from both sides. >:D
Bookmarked for Dec Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »
Rich- I just see if they are starting to bend while floor tillering. After that, I either start with a tilering device or using a low brace height and checking the balance there. Generally, if you can string it at 4", it should be bending enough. As for shape, a rectangular or semi rounded shape works for the limbs. 1 1/2" wide at the middle 4-8", tapering to 3/4" tips (you'll be lightening these later for better cast). Thickness: the handle should be somewhere around 3/4". At 76#, Sweety is 7/8", as is this bow. Taper the thickness about 1/4" to the tips (Leaving a little build-up of wood in the thickness of the handle should yeild a more elliptical tiller.)

Oldbow- Now THAT is an idea ;D!!!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:21:51 pm »
Impressive Kegan - I'm gonna have to work my way up to a 70 pounder one day :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 10:13:26 pm »
thats an awesome bow i like it alot

90# is HEAVY
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo