Author Topic: My Hunting Arrows  (Read 11955 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: My Hunting Arrows
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »
Those are sweet.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
Heads hafting all sweet but heck the fletching I build my own arrows and if I could get a two fletch to look half that good I'd have dozens of'm just beautiful. and like red fir shafts to.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 03:57:21 am »
Thanks guys, the two fletch is much easier to tie for me than the three fletch. I used a single small thread of sinew in the center of the fletching to hold the feather to the shaft and makes them fly quiet.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Robby101

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:07 am »
A few thousand years ago and you wouldn't have been able to hunt! They would have made you stay back in the village making arrows for everybody. Beautifully done!!!
Robin

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am »
Wow guys! Thanks for all the fine comments. Means a lot. CherokeeKC, a man buy the name of Dave Swetmon from Georgia knapped the points for me. He made me 13 that weighed within 20grns of each other.

How much do the points weigh? I would like to get a deer w a point like that.
Tx

Greg

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 10:34:32 am »
  Those are SWEETTTTTTTTTTT heads but I have one problem with them.
  I knap mind without the square back or the barbed you see all the time.
  So (heads) they pull from a foam bail with ease. Those square or barbed backs tent to losen up after a couple shots into a bail. With out them I have heads thats been on for a couple years.

If your not going to practice with them then your just fine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
  Twistedhickory here are some of the heads I have left and there weights, average around 160grn. I have a spine machine and shafts were with in 5 lbs. each so I put the heavier points on the stiffest shafts which made them very close to each other and all flew great.
  Crooket I'm down with you on that and got tired of reheating points to melt the pitch. So I made 2 practice points and used epoxy to hold stone, only the practice points. Second from the Bottom pic shows some dark spots from past heating. No more problems with my practice point now...
   I also wanted to add the last pic and say that Dave made the tail of the head slightly narrower so it wouldn't grab hair or impede penetration. Thanks again for the comments folks...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
You and Dave do beautiful work !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 11:41:04 am »
Awesome...you should be proud to hunt with those and I hope you get a chance to post some pictures of your kill.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

FAW

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »
Good luck with them Don - well crafted arrows - any deer would be proud to wear one of these.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »
 Thanks guys...Vacation starts this weekend and hope to spend some quality time in the woods. Thanks for wishing me luck and all the nice comments.

Offline Wahinkpe Wakan

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 01:50:01 pm »
If it is a sin to covet, I think I am in trouble...no, I know I am in trouble.  My first view after becoming a member and that is what I have to strive to achieve?  Yeah, next post in ten years, and that will be just for advice not to compare. Very beautiful!
Now that I am old enough to know better, I'm too fat and set in my ways to get better

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Scott,
        What a nice compliment, thank you. And welcome to PA... You have joined a wonderful site filled with very informative like minded folks that will be so happy to help you on your journey so dive right in and have fun. Thanks again Wahinkpe Wakan!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »

Excellent!  :o Do know if he did those heads with flake over grind?  They are beautiful as well! 8)  The deer should be sparring to be the first to take one of those arrows!  Like Robby101 said, you would have been stuck in the village making arrows.  You would have been their Arrow Smith, then, you would have time to add some extra strings to your stave, and started making music, and then while the hunters were out hunting, and the women would gather around you, screaming, and throwing skins at you, and pointing to their huts, and you would get free food, and uh...... other stuff...... ::)  So it would not be all bad being stuck in the village. ;) 8)  Beautiful work, and I hope you get a big buck with each arrow!

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 06:20:05 am »
Very nice set,all they need is some blood on them. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good