Author Topic: Catch and Release Deer Hunt  (Read 10843 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Catch and Release Deer Hunt
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »
Here's a pic of a three pointer I let walk Sat. afternoon.  I had him at ten yards in this pic.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Catch and Release Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
 :o really  8) picture.  Glad to see you let him grow up some.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:00 pm »
Great photo!  I hear you, let that little fellow grow up.  Way to go.  That pic is as good a trophy as I have seen on here.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
Whew....he wouldn't be safe around my stick and stone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
Well played!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
Why Pearl, your not that hard up for meat are you?  Surly you could wait on a nice tender doe.............. couldn't you?
DBar

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:53 am »
 Always need the meat DBar,till the freezer is full,horns mean nothing to me, why is it folks just want to let the buck grow up and old,whats wrong with letting the nice little tender does grow old also,must be the horns and like I said don't mean anything to me. That one would eat like a nice doe and knife handles to boot. ;) Nice un Chris. ;) :) :) That wouldn't be safe around Eddie. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:19 am »
he was lucky for sure.  i just happen to be hunting with the owner that day and he prefers to let little bucks walk.  he has about 300 acres inside the city limits with way too many deer on this property and wonders why his "big" bucks only have a 16" spread.  besides, i got me a spike last thur. so letting this one walk didn't hurt too bad.  this little buck was too semetrical for eddie to shoot. ;D
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:58 am »
 ;) :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »
Pappy,
I want to make something perfectly clear..............I'm not one of those "horn" hunters.  I have a lot of opportunities and a lot of deer to hunt.  I apologize if I stirred up any emotions.  If I killed every deer that walk by me or I had in shooting distance,  I could fill mine and all my neighbors freezers.  That is one of the reasons I only hunt with a selfbow these days and just enjoy seeing deer.  I admit I am probably a little spoiled.  I always  get enough meat and do love to eat it.  I like to keep the ratio as close to 2 does to 1 buck as possible,  most of the hunters in my area hunt horns.  I also like to see large antlered deer when hunting.  I understand that some people don't have as many opportunities to hunt as myself, and need to shoot any deer that presents itself.  I'm all for that,  I guess I just enjoy seeing and hunting large mature deer ....doe or buck. 

I've only met Pearl once and really don't know him that well,  Pearl nothing was meant by the comment,  just doing a little ribbing. ;D ;D
DBar

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:49:20 am »
All is cool, :) to each their own is my motto,got no problem with shooting only big bucks if that's your thing, just gets me a little bothered when someone tells me I am doing wrong or a bad thing when I do, that's all I was saying. :) I am also a trophy hunter until something else comes along.  ;) ;D ;D We have a lot of deer also and I also only hunt with a self bow,but un like you I can't kill one anytime I go out,not sure the problem,guess it's me but if I kill 4 or 5 a year I have had a good year and it takes that to feed us for a year so I shoot what I get the chance to shoot and don't like being told thats a bad thing.  ;):)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:32 am »
Shoot dancin' bear, you didnt bother me one bit buddy! I get ribbed WAY harder at work by the cross gun and wheelie killers. They get after me hard about my sticks. After I typed that message? I went hunting the next day and let a 6 point walk away and had him within 10 yards for a good bit. I hunt by emotion. Some days a spiker gets me jacked right up and arrows fly, the next day an 8 point walks by and I just watch. Ive shot enough deer in my life that I hunt for a lot of different reasons now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:34 pm »
Pappy, Pearl,
Yep..I think were on the same page....  ;)  Except where you said "kill one every time I go out",  I said "IF"   :)  :laugh: there no way I could every time with my selfbow and arrows. :laugh: :laugh:
DBar

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »
I did the same thing with a little spike this morning.  Several times I started to raise my bow but I just couldn't use my one and only buck tag on him this early in the season.  It has to have one antler longer than 3" to be considered an antlered deer in my state.  He looked like he was closer to 4".

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »
Chutem junior, chutem! :D

I'm a meat hunter, but have been in both of your situations of being a guest and using your tag with rut still to come.

Very cool pics!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956