Author Topic: Dye or Stain for white wood,  (Read 9217 times)

Offline Flashman

Dye or Stain for white wood,
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:52:23 am »
in this case vine maple, that can be used under parafin or beeswax as the finish.  Any suggestions?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Dye or Stain for white wood,
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 08:35:23 am »
Febrings leather dye or plain ol' Rit dye from the grocery store mixed with rubbing alchohol works great-quick, easy, simple. Works good for fade/sunburst patterns or just a single color stain. I like it better than wood stain, though I do use walnut hulls sometimes for a good brownish stain. these were done with Rit. Top one is ash, bottom is black locust.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:37:41 am »
I've never sealed with parafin or beeswax, but I've got a coat of stain on a hornbeam bow right now. I applied the stain last weekend and I'm planning to give it a couple of weeks drying time before I seal it. Been putting it over the floor vent to enhance drying. I plan to seal it with multiple coats of tru-oil, then toning the gloss down with polyurethane satin. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:49:59 am »
That's a good looking bow there Hillbilly, like the dye job on it. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:26:18 am »
I've used leather dyes and water-based stains on vine maple with good success. Either of these will be fine under a parafin finish. I've had poor results with oil-based stains and vine maple.
Gordon

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:40 pm »
I've had trouble with modern wood stains on hickory. Wild walnuts, charcoal and pitch paint, charcoal in linseed, and just plain charcoal have all worked well for me though. I have trouble getting some more borken down walnuts to "work right" on occasion though.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:05:46 pm »
i like using cheap ol shoe polish out of the can, topped off with a hand rubbed wax finish myself..
just to get the white, ofn the white wood!
jamie

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
where do you get the leather dyes?    This is interesting.  I was recently trying to get the black with fade out effect on the tips of a reworked hikory.  Trued black ebony wood stain and it just doesn;t cover.  Scraped it off an painted it black and that looks too abrupt

Dave

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 02:41:04 pm »
Gordon i'm not sure they are a advertiser in P.A., if they are I apologize for modifying your post,
links are not allowed to non-advertisers.

DanaM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:10:35 pm by DanaM »
Gordon

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »
Thanks Gordon.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:54:42 pm »
Hey, I just found it at the local grocery a few minutes ago, on sale for 2.39 a bottle.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 09:05:55 pm »
Dana,

I can understand why PA would be concerned about archery related links and I have been careful not so post links to such that are not sponsors. But banishing links that are not related to archery seems a little over-zealous - I think it does the community a disservice.  That said, I'll abide by the rules and check the sponsors page before I post any more links.

Gordon
Gordon

tradrick

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:50:27 pm »
I plan to seal it with multiple coats of tru-oil, then toning the gloss down with polyurethane satin. 

GregB,this is something I'm intrested in.I like the finish truoil gives plus its cheap,easy to find and apply.However,even though the nice shine looks good after 6-8 coats its not the best for a hunting bow.Do you use the polyurethane satin spray?If so how many coats over the truoil?And do you lightly sand with 0000 steel wool before you add the polyurethane.Thanks tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 01:18:11 am »
Tradrick, I use a single quick coat of spray satin poly over Tru-Oil on all me hunting bows. I hit the last coat of Tru-Oil with 0000 steel wool, wipe it with a rag and just a quick spray of the poly. Knocks that shine right off! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tradrick

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 05:26:26 am »
Thanks Pat,I'll give it a try.tradrick