Author Topic: Coral Points meets Black Pig  (Read 13096 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Coral Points meets Black Pig
« on: October 05, 2013, 03:12:14 pm »
Almost 20 years of hunting the same place and I have never once seen a hog on that land. After bouts with poachers and trespassers, my ability to hunt in there this year was on the fence. With the problems seeming to be solved, the landowner turned me loose again. I was surprised to come across hog rooting on this place, and a lot of it. I saw a nice boar (might have been this one) but didn't have my bow..as I was deer scouting before I knew there were pigs in there!  I growled the alarm clock this morning but rose to my feet and readied for my morning hunt. 5 minutes in the swamp and I heard two animals walking. I slipped ahead looking for an ambush spot, assuming they were hogs. Before I could zero in on the two animals walking (which turned out later to be deer not pigs) I heard the unmistakable sounds of palmettos parting as this boar came pushing his way through.  He crossed in front of me about 30 yards ahead. I confirmed good wind and gave a good quiet stalk in the damp grass. I closed the distance quickly and found him at the edge of a wallow. With him quartering hard away at about 14-15 yards, I faxed him a cane arrow from my 57# Osage bow. The arrow was tipped with an agatized FL coral point I heat treated and knapped. The shot was further back than I wanted but the arrow penetrated about half way the shaft and buried into the opposite shield. Fearing poor shot placement I grabbed another arrow and ran to cut him off to attempt a follow up shot.  When I rounded a large palm, I spotted him standing at 20 yards. I lifted my bow to shoot again but before I could draw, he fell flat on his side. The single arrow brought him down in 40 or so yards. I would have boned him out on site, but I wanted to bring him home whole to show my little boy, getting him used to seeing animals come home from hunting! I did weigh him when I got home. Field dressed he weighed 120lbs, so live weight should have put him around 145-150lbs. Good way to start my season. I have some bbq pork ribs in the crock pot now.. it's a good Saturday.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Joec123able

Re: Coral Points meets Black Pig
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:16:06 pm »
Wow good job ! looks like some good eatin
I like osage

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:57:06 pm »
Heck of a good story! Happy for ya, twisted! About to head out for an afternoon hunt myself.

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »
good stuff!
doesn't really look like that point was hurt either.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:44:09 pm »
Very nice!!!  Congrats!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »
Love the camo, barefoot and all!  Great job Ryan!

Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
Very cool harvest Ryan!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:42 am »
Very cool harvest Ryan!

Tracy
When did you say dinner was?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
Abo Abo abo!
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline DGF

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:36:17 am »
Nice hog. Congrats!
-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:57:35 am »
Great work Brother!! What did you end up using for insect repellant? GREAT story too!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 01:11:08 pm »
mostly beautyberry.... but that morning...nothing...lol I planned on getting some along the way, but it all happened too fast I couldn't pick any.  so I got ate alive for 10 minutes...but well worth it... once I killed the pig and new I had a long drag through the swamp back to the truck... I went back and rooted under the truck seat and found my can of Deet...lol   figured the important part was over and I deserved a reward for my hunt..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »
That coral point did the trick.  Way to go Ryan.  How well does the beautyberry work and how do you apply it? 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 07:04:45 pm »
Beautyberry works great. just crush fresh leaves in your hand and rub on you vigorously.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 07:38:42 pm »
Nice hog and a good quick/clean kill shot. Congrats Ryan and savor those ribs man. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.