Author Topic: Straightening twist?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Straightening twist?
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »
So how would I go about heat treat bending/straightening? All at once? If I make a form to bend some will that straighten the limbs twist?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Straightening twist?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:09 pm »
Depending on the severity of the twist, you can simply toast it and clamp into reflex as you move along. If the twist seems severe enough? Get a bunch of it out first. Then come back and temper it in a day or three.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
It's this stupid HHB stave lol. One limb slightly a twists from the fade just about. I was thinking if I made a form a did it all at once I could tweak it as I go? I planned on making a back to the form so I could cover all my axis. Something I can block against to line it up better. Thinking of a 5 curve or recurve. Natural reflex from the handle. Almost equal. It's is 68" long and 2" wide

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
Adding a back is good, but captures heat also. It does allow the blank to be straightened in both directions, and I like that. I prefer to apply all my heat at once, regardless of amount. One good cookin' is better then four small coookin's in my book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:45:13 pm »
Ok thanks. Hopefully I can make it work

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »
You can use small wedges to correct twists as you go out each limb to straighten it and/or add reflex. If the twist is not too bad you don' have to do anything with it. Wood bows can take some twist and still shoot well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 03:56:19 pm »
I'll try and post a pic tonight. Is veg oil ok to put on for dry heat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:00 pm »
Yes, veg oil is what I use(actually olive oil). The oil will prevent it from scorching. If you plan on tempering the belly no oil is needed. Do give your bow a few days after heating before stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »
Doesn't the olive oil affect how well the finish sticks?
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »
Don, by the time I scrape the belly to reach tiller I have eliminated the oil in the wood. If I plan on backing the bow, either with sinew or skins or wood I wash it with Dawn dish soap and rince with boiling water. That will get the oil out.

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:25:30 pm »
Thanks Pat

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 06:17:38 pm »
So if I'm tempering while bending don't use oil?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 06:24:35 pm »
correct!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »
Ok thanks again Pat!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 02:37:12 am »
So this is the twist in talking about. I'm thinking it'll work its self out during the reflexing and bending. Thanks again guys