Author Topic: "finnished" that yew bow F/D added  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Re: "finnished" that yew bow F/D added
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:39 am »
Can't u think the handle up and get it working. It'd make it a lot better looking of a tiller.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
ok done some work removing from the sides. but if i remove any more wood it's going to break. i guesse it's less square now witch i asume is a good thing

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
Left limb looks better right limb still Working to much in one spot need to take some of the outter part of the limb
I like osage

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »
ok so i done some work to that left limb and it looks better. BUT....now im really starting to belive in this bow so im going to bend in some recurves into the ends. :o
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 02:20:52 pm »
I still think u should make the handle bend a little. 1/3 of the bow looks stiff. If the handle bent u would get a little more draw and take work from the parts working too much

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:07 pm »
ok so i done some work to that left limb and it looks better. BUT....now im really starting to belive in this bow so im going to bend in some recurves into the ends. :o
No no no no no!
The central third of the bow (where the grip is) does nothing. The grip/fades need to be shorter and have a little flex at the root of the limbs.
The outer 1/3 of each limb does nothing. They need to flex a bit.
If you put recurves into the tips... all it will do is make that little section  mid limb that is working, bend even more and give up.
If you really must put in recurves, then you need to get those outer limbs flexing first!
At the moment the bow looks like two hinges joined by a long grip/fade!
Stop trying to be too clever too quick, get it right first... then mess with recurves else she'll just blow!
Del
@Blaflair2... you beat me to it! ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
 :P

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »
Can't you find any reasonably straight/long wood where you live? The crap pieces you're working on are fine for practice but it seems like you'd get farther if you slowed down and worked on a bow you want to last long. The tiller still looks pretty square to me. Have you measured the draw weight?
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:46 am »
I'm with Blaflair2, Forget the stiff handle and make it bendy! That yew doesn't mind a little knot, and it will save you a lot of grief in the tillering!            Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 09:20:19 am »
Del,I spit my coffee with the square tiller remark, ;D ;D ;D ;D  Thats funny I don't care who you are. :) Way to stay at it Bowslayer,you are defiantly coming along.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:12 am »
Del,I spit my coffee with the square tiller remark, ;D ;D ;D ;D  Thats funny I don't care who you are. :) Way to stay at it Bowslayer,you are defiantly coming along.  :)
   Pappy

haha. yeah ive decided to slow down so i put the yew bow in the corner for now while i work on my special bow for this month (opps did i just let something slip?)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »
I'm with the handle guys. Get it bending right up to the handle and then take a little off of the handle untill you feel it start to flex at full draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:08 pm »
If the handle bends it will disperse the stress more evenly. Specially if u wanna flip the tips. If u actually want to make it function nice, If it was me and I was making such a short bow I'd make the working section as long as I coukd(would NOT recurve). The recurve is just gonna make your bow do more work in those already hinging area out of your handle fades(which I may have said to make bend with the handle...  O:)) u can totally make it work. Like everyone said just slow down. It's not about quantity it's about quality. I'd rather make one really nice bow than a dozen sloppy ones.