Author Topic: 8 point down! First primitive kill! Story and Pictures on pg 2  (Read 22975 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: 8 point down! First primitive kill!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:14 pm »
WAY TO GO CLINT! short draw or not, like Barns's Grandpa says, shot placement fills the pot!!

CONGRATZ! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 8 point down! First primitive kill!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:03 am »
Ok, he's in the cooler and I'm all cleaned up so now I can tell the story and post some better pictures.

This was my first time hunting from this stand this year.  I set it up to catch them going to the pond in the evening.  The tree is leaning forward which made it very uncomfortable and I wasn't able to get a shot at the main trail I wanted to cover.  I was very aggravated about not getting it set up better.  I had already texted my Dad and made plans to move it Friday.  So I sat there leaning forward for a couple of hours and then I hear something coming down the opposite hillside towards the small pond.  Its pretty thick but I can tell its a buck.  As he got to the pond I hear a car coming down the driveway to an old house on the hillside above me.  It was my brother in law and my niece.  I could hear her playing and talking.  The buck got nervous and froze.  They drove away a few minutes later but the buck was still cautiously staring up the hill.  I heard another deer walking along the pond.  Its a small spike that I have let walk numerous times this year.  One side splits into a little fork at the tip.  Pearly has been trying his best to get me to shoot it but I held off.  The spike walks up the trail 5 yards in front of me and heads to the giant oak tree that's 25 yards above me.  Once the spike walked up the hill I guess this guy figured it was safe so he headed my direction.  I stood up as he walked behind a tree.  When he got into the clear on the other side I see my arrow hit him behind the shoulder.  I don't even remember drawing my bow.  At the shot he quickly walked up to the flat under the oak tree.  He looked around for a second or two and then he took off running down the point of the hill.  He went just out of site and I heard him crashing.  That's the best sound in the world after you shoot one.  I called my brother in law and asked him to meet me at the house.  I waited a few minutes after the crashing stopped to get down.  On my way to the house, I walked up the trail he was on and saw lots of good blood.  We gathered some lights and went back to look for it.  We usually let my niece lead the way on a good trail but I wanted to make sure he was dead before she walked up on him.   I took the lead and followed the easy blood trail.  She called my name and I turned around to see her holding my arrow.  I had walked right past it.  Just a few yards ahead we found him tangled in some limbs.  He probably didn't go over 50 yards.  I couldn't believe it.  I had finally killed a deer with a selfbow.  What a feeling that was.  I just stood there staring at it and tried to soak it all in.  I wondered how many years it has been since a hunter killed a deer on our property with a wooden bow and stone tipped arrow. 

I don't know if it was all the excitement or what but it looks like my eyes are bugging out

Our junior tracker

My equipment; my latest osage bow and a hill cane arrow tipped with a point made by Tracy.  Thanks Tracy!

The arrow and point is completely unharmed.  It took a chunk out of one rib, passed through a lung and center punched the heart.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:54:44 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: 8 point down! First primitive kill! Story and Pictures on pg 2
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 02:15:46 am »
Dude, that's awesome! Congrats on a nice buck!  All these posts are getting me excited for the day I get to hunt.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 04:32:12 am »
Two thumbs up - congrats ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 05:25:13 am »
Congrats Clint,I knew you could do it.Nice deer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 07:29:28 am »
Nice story Clint.That's the way it's done.Nice when the deer does'nt bolt and blow out of there.Self bows are soo quiet I think the deer might think it just got poked by a stick or stung buy a bug at first and does'nt get totally alarmed if the arrow is placed right and yours was.I had a pass through both lungs on a buck like yours last year that just walked away from where it was shot at.Your deer did'nt have a chance of surviving.Now you got the bug-a-boos out of your system.That chili is gonna taste gooood this winter heh.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:51 am »
CONGRATS TO YOU BUDDY!

I was soooo excited last night after we talked on the horn. I think my wife thought I may have got one the way I was bouncing around when I got home! Good job man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 08:20:56 am »
Dang Clint, why such a solemn look?  I woulda had a grin on my face that couldnt be smacked off.  That's a great story.  Good job all around.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:41 am »
Awesome story. amazing how that stone holds up

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 08:34:27 am »
Congrats pal....all that hard work paid off,and nice to see ya get redemption after last weeks debacle  ;D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 09:35:50 am »
I don't think it could have been any better than that, Clint.  Perfect shot, great story.
1’—>1’

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:19 am »
awesome clint! very many congratulations!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Stoker

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:50 am »
Congrats.. Very nice buck.. Awesome shot
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:30 am »
way to go! great hunt and a great story
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline rhansen

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 01:15:16 pm »
 Nicely done sir!!!!