Author Topic: Rabbit Arrows?  (Read 13337 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Rabbit Arrows?
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:50 pm »
I want to try rabbit hunting with my bow this year and I'm not sure what kind of arrows I should make.  Do you use blunts or regular field points with rabbits?  I'll be using cane/bamboo for the shafts.  I'll probably dye the fletching and back of the arrow a bright color, maybe even pink  :o  Laugh if you want.  I don't want to spend 20 minutes looking for each arrow I let loose.  We are loaded with rabbits, I had 5 in the yard the other morning.  They have learned to eat the food that gets spilled by my daughters 4-H rabbits.  They should be nice and plump by the time the season starts.  If anyone can post pics of some rabbit arrows I'd appreciate it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Rabbit Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »
I'm interested this this one too!  Hedge done said I could try and nail a rabbit from his place. and I know he has a few  ::)
Keep the ideas coming....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »
Blunts or judos . Field points are for target shooting. They will go right through and not cause the percussive trauma needed to kill them. I have screw on adapters on some of my hunting arrows, so I can switch from field points for practice to broadheads for deer, bunts with a judo style ring behind(can't remember the name) for small game ,to broadheads with the judo style ring behind for geese and turkey. If you are using a lighter bow (under 45lb) I would recommend foregoing the blunts and use a broadhead . most animals are tougher than you think. Lighter bows don't have enough wallop for blunt trauma  IMHO. Good luck!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:24:54 pm »
what about inserting the shaft of a 16 nail into the end of the cane and then using a bullet casing on the outside?  Would that work good enough as a blunt?  I'll be using a 50# bow.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:59 pm »
Should do. As long as it weighs enough to balance the arrow.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »
I know where your going with that OO ......Sounds good to me toooo
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »
The whole idea  of a blunt is to not go through  the game. Provide a flat surface that is big enough to stop penetration while being small enough to concentrate  the kenetic energy in the arrow. Not too big and not too small ;) 30 cal. has been the standard  for years. I think this came up last year and a lot of pics came up with people's varied solutions. Have you tried to "search "it?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:27 pm »
"Small Game Points - Sticky" . Look it up in the search bar. All you need to know! lots of good points that wont make you cry if you loose them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:59:28 am »
One word...NUTTER! cheap and very effective.  Just screw a 3/8" nut on the tapered end of the shaft. I add superglue for giggles. You will get a little penetration from the taper point sticking out past the nut(super glue for extra strength) and good shock from the nut. You can also use a wing nut but a plain hex nut works well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:23 am »
One word...NUTTER! cheap and very effective.  Just screw a 3/8" nut on the tapered end of the shaft. I add superglue for giggles. You will get a little penetration from the taper point sticking out past the nut(super glue for extra strength) and good shock from the nut. You can also use a wing nut but a plain hex nut works well.

Yep!  X 2.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 08:56:05 am »
Clint I know you don't like to buy stuff much, but the HEX heads work great for squirrel and rabbit.  I think you're talking about a point like Ozzy was shooting the first weekend in Scottsburg. That should do for what you want.  I have made up some of those "nutters" too like Pat swears by. I wouldn't use too big of fletching for rabbit arrows since you will be shooting down you won't need to slow the arrow like you do when shooting up.   If the dogs in my area didn't kill most of the rabbits I'd be doing the same.  HAve fun Buddy, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:14 am »
what about inserting the shaft of a 16 nail into the end of the cane and then using a bullet casing on the outside?  Would that work good enough as a blunt?  I'll be using a 50# bow.

Nock the primer out of the shell and slide it over the duplex. I found some big duplex nails this summer that would work great for this. Fletching, use full size /flu flu to slow down after 30 yards or so.
I've used Ace hex heads and love them if you're trying commercially made items along with the judos.

I love hunting small with the bow and have enjoyed shooting at squirrels the last few days in and out of the stand.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 12:05:46 pm »
Small Game Points, Stickied just above this thread. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »
I just use standard field tips myself. Sometimes I have to "extinguish" the game, but that's part of hunting small game with a bow I guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »
Thanks guys.  I forgot about the small game sticky thread.