Author Topic: Handles  (Read 1044 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Handles
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:38:06 pm »
I just got to thinking... My friend wants a bow without a leather wrap on the handle, off hand, and wants a deer hair piece so when he shoots it doesn't make a noise. How do u guys make the deer hair look normal without a leather handle on? Do u need one to make it look normal?
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Josh B

Re: Handles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:28 pm »
In a perfect world with proper arrow spine and proper brace height, the arrow should never hit the handle when loosed.  Since we don't live in a perfect world, just cut it into a shape that will stand alone.  Such as a circle, teardrop, arrowhead ,stylized initial(s), on my personal bows, my bowyers Mark lends itself well to that  application.  Your imagination is your only limitation.  Josh

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:32 am »
I've used hair-on cowhide before, but I used a beard trimmer with no guard on it to cut the hairs very short.  Still dead silent, but looks a lot neater.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:33:40 am »
Just a plain piece of soft leather, cut to shape like Gun Doc suggested will work as well as hair-on leather. With the hair-on you have to consider the direction the hair lays when you install it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC