Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 27716 times)

blackhawk

BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:32:42 am »
Not trying to start a heated debate between folks here,so just please state your opinion why and no quoting folks and trying to disagree etc etc....I just wanna know some why's and folks honest opinion ...and let's try to keep this civil and positively constructive

I see two entries this month for each category ....sorry to say(n no offense to the entrants) but that's just lame...why? What's wrong with bom? Why don't folks enter there bows? Please answer those questions in your own opinion....

I think the new rule has obviously backfired and isn't working...honestly I didn't like the change back then,and still haven't changed my mind...it has nothing to do with having a subscription or not...there  is just so many other awesome bows out there that get posted that never get entered,and it just doesn't seem like a fair competition,and seeing all the bows that got posted on display...I understand the reasons why they changed the rules,and you don't have to shout any of that propaganda to me...I understand why...

I'd just like to see it the way it was before and a real competition again instead of a select few

JacksonCash

Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:38:04 am »
Well, I'd have to put out more bows in order to put them up for that, and I'm at a bit of a pause on the bow making front while I work on a few other projects (and am searching for a place with a shed or garage, or basement that I can work in when it's cold and snowy- wife has banned use of the kitchen for woodworking/bowmaking/any of my other messy hobbies).

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:38:57 am »
This will be interesting. I wont type my reasons, you know them. I don't feel like arguing or defending myself today...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:52:05 am »
Well I was going to try to enter the BOM with the maple bow that I made for my son, but I didn't know a subscription was required 'till I read the rules, lol.

My wife knows a PA Sub is on my Christmas wish list, but it just isn't in the budget now. 

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:02 am »
Please do pearly...my head statement was meant to be a " please state your opinion once" and if someone didn't like it then please don't quote them and try to debate it so no one would be arguing or have to defend there own "opinion"... cus there is no right or wrong opinion or answers here...I know this could get sticky so that why I stated such comments so it doesn't get out of hand....and maybe it'll actually be constructive and helpful to this site and the magazine...its more of a please state your opinion poll n that's it....no more.   Obviously something isn't working and IMHO something needs done to help it out...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:09 pm »
I don't feel like my bows would be able to compete as I don't have the equipment to measure draw weight and I'm not in this to compete with others, but to hone my own skills in the most primitive way I can.  It's hard to compete when you use only natural materials and hand tools to make your bows.  It would be difficult to glue on snapping turtle tails with natural glues. lol that was an awesome bow though.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »
Please do pearly...my head statement was meant to be a " please state your opinion once" and if someone didn't like it then please don't quote them and try to debate it so no one would be arguing or have to defend there own "opinion"... cus there is no right or wrong opinion or answers here...I know this could get sticky so that why I stated such comments so it doesn't get out of hand....and maybe it'll actually be constructive and helpful to this site and the magazine...its more of a please state your opinion poll n that's it....no more.   Obviously something isn't working and IMHO something needs done to help it out...

Where's your bow this month???  I'd have one there if I wasn't stuck over here in Spain. And, it's hunting season everywhere. I sure as heck I was heading for Pappy's hunting in a few weeks. :(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »
*No offense or disrespect to any past or future winners in any way*

Here is my bullheaded, close minded opinion:

Its Bow of the Month, not art project of the month. I rarely see the best tillered and best designed bows win. Sometimes we see bows with super art work and perfect functionality in one win, but not often enough IMHO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:14 pm »
This will be interesting. I wont type my reasons, you know them. I don't feel like arguing or defending myself today...;)

Are you feeling OK, Pearly? I'm a little worried about you . This is totally out of character. ;D

I'm guessing It might have something to do with hunting season. I'll see if I can scrounge something up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »
I don't feel like my bows would be able to compete as I don't have the equipment to measure draw weight and I'm not in this to compete with others, but to hone my own skills in the most primitive way I can.  It's hard to compete when you use only natural materials and hand tools to make your bows.  It would be difficult to glue on snapping turtle tails with natural glues. lol that was an awesome bow though.

Tim; That's not true. I don't know how many bows that won BOM that were made with simple, primitive tools.Jamie Leffler's Jaagermeister bow comes to mind including the magazine article about killing his doe with a point made from the bottle.
Lakeland, Florida

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »
Well Tim, I understand your reticence, but the beauty of this "competition" -- not a good word for it-- is that it's subjective. Every time I cast a vote it depends on a lot of things like bowyers exp level, tiller, technique, design, overall story. Rarely does it come down to "frills." Everyone should feel free to post and enter their best works regardless of tools or materials used. JMO

For my own part, it is huntin season and I'm struggling over a gnats whisker on my current build. Hope to have it done soon, but a lot of life is taking priority right now. Also, I'm trying to give my current Osage stash some much needed drying time.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »
Well, Pearlie boy,  ;) I have to agree. When and who made this a Competition? ??? I thought when it started it was to showcase everybodies bows, whether the magazine used the pictures or not.

It seems like everybody that makes a boatload of bows wants to be famous. Guy's, you're not going to get rich doing this without screwing someone you might have to meet one day. ;) I've seen so many people get beat out for BOM by overbuilt bows, but real pretty pictures and backgrounds that looked good in the mag.

This month it looks like only four people got off their ass and worked on bows while it was hot and didn't go hunting,,and,,Oh yea, they supported Primitive Archer Magazine by having a subscription so we can have this site.

There, Pearlie :D I'm in a Hotel in Spain bored, Guys.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
I haven't entered BOM lately because I haven't finished a bow lately. ;)  As soon as I do I will enter again. I wish I had entered this past month. With only a few entries I might have a chance!  ;D
  I don't see BOM as a competition but more of a bow showcase. I'm not a competitive person. I only compete with myself. When voting for BOM I try to pick the bowyer and his(or her) bow that represents the greatest improvement in their craft. It might not be the prettiest bow or the best tiller...or a bow that is totally out of the ordinary; ie. Asiatic Horn Bow, etc. If I see a newby with a well made bow, thats where my vote goes...or a bow made with an unusual wood.  I do this for incouragement for that bowyer. A guy that has been building bows for years doesn't need that incouragement.
 Also BOM does help bring in subscriptions to PA Magazine, our benefactor!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »
Gee Eddie..I couldn't tell you were bored....lol  :laugh: ....n I think my word of competition was a poor choice..and should be more like how Eddie n pat describes it..."a showcase of bows"...I just don't see it as a showcase the way it is currently...

PS....Eddie....my bows suck....lol  :laugh:... you should know firsthand...lol  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 12:31:13 pm »
I would question how much needing a subscription to play stops folks. I think its much deeper than that. I have a subscription and will until I die, or the magazine dies. I live for my new mag every few months. But I never enter my bows. Haven't in a few years. I came in 5 out of 5 on what I considered my best ever bow, and still do. It hurt and I quit. Call me a whiner, I wont mind.